Gastric Sleeve or VSG: Most popular and effective weight loss surgery in 2020
Carrying extra pounds can interfere with every aspect of your life – be it socializing with friends or spending time with your kids. It also shortens your life span by exposing you to several serious health conditions.
Jet Medical Tourism® works with a network of surgeons who can perform gastric sleeve surgery, which is a safe and affordable way to take care of this debilitating condition.
But why should you choose to have gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico? Contact Jet Medical Tourism® now to learn more.
What is gastric sleeve surgery?
VSG or Gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico is a safe and effective bariatric procedure to treat obesity with minimal risk of complications. In this procedure, the surgeon will perform a resection (removal) of about 80 percent of the original stomach to reduce the patient’s eating capacity. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy Tijuana has emerged as a highly sought-after surgery in recent years because it is less invasive and has an excellent success rate.
Restrictive and Metabolic Procedure
Tijuana Mexico stomach surgery is not only considered a restrictive procedure, but also a metabolic surgery that induces the desired physiological changes to curb appetite. The reduced stomach volume will enable you to limit your meal portions, while the hormonal modulation will make you feel less hungry. The dual effect will help you achieve up to 70 percent weight loss within the first year on average.
Underlying Benefits for Health
Bariatric sleeve Mexico will not only help eliminate morbid obesity, it will also deliver additional medical benefits. Obesity-related type 2 diabetes may go into remission or the symptoms may entirely disappear. Your cardiovascular risks will significantly reduce as your blood pressure and cholesterol levels return to normal. Obesity is also associated with anxiety and depression, which will reduce following your VSG surgery Tijuana.
Is gastric sleeve safe in Mexico?
All surgical procedures carry risk. But the key is to make sure you’re working with a well-qualified and experienced surgeon. This is why checking out the surgeon credentials and facility reviews is critical, regardless of which country you’re receiving the procedure in.
If you are still asking the question “is gastric sleeve safe”, make sure the medical facility has everything necessary to take good care of a bariatric patient. Here are a few tips to help you do that:
- The doctors should be certified: The bariatric surgeons should be board-certified and experienced at performing sleeve surgery in Mexico.
- The hospital or clinic must have bariatric equipment: It goes without saying that the facility must be in compliance with the required standards of safety and cleanliness. In addition, it should also have an in-house lab, intensive care unit, x-rays, tomography, and blood bank.
- There should be an operating room specifically for gastric sleeve patients: This means the hospital or clinic should have state-of-the-art laparoscopic equipment, surgical beds for bariatric patients, laparoscopic HD cameras and screens, and an anesthesia machine with ventilator.
- The facility should have a full surgical staff: The place where you choose to receive gastric sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico should at least have a cardiologist, internist, and a pulmonologist in addition to an expert bariatric team.
Also, consider your experience while communicating with the facility and the surgeons. Do they take the time to talk with you and know you during the initial consultation? Or do they seem in a hurry? All these factors will help ensure you choose a facility that’s safe and puts your well-being above your money!
RELATED ARTICLE: What is the success rate of gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Do I qualify for gastric sleeve in Mexico?
As effective as gastric sleeve is in battling obesity, you have to meet a number of qualifications to ensure optimal safety. Is gastric sleeve safe for you? It depends on a few factors. In order to undergo this procedure:
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 65.
- You must be more than 100 pounds over your ideal weight according to your height and age.
- You should have a body mass index (BMI) of more than 40. In case you have high blood pressure, diabetes, or other health conditions, a BMI between 35 and 39.9 will suffice.
- You must not be dependent on alcohol or drugs.
- You must be committed to making lasting changes to your lifestyle, especially in terms of food and exercise.
CHECK THIS TOO: How much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve
The team at Jet Medical Tourism® along with a bariatric surgeon will verify these qualifications during your initial evaluation (before you travel to Mexico). Our number one priority is your health and safety, so we will make sure you are an ideal candidate for vertical sleeve. Contact Us today!
Gastric sleeve process
Once the bariatric team has made sure you qualify for the surgery, and you arrive at the Mexico facility, your doctor will explain the vsg surgery process to you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to discuss them with your surgeon or the team.
To give you a general idea of what occurs during the surgery, here is a step-by-step breakdown of the gastric sleeve process:
- Step 1: You will be lying face up, on your back, on the operating table.
- Step 2: The anesthesiologist will administer general anesthesia.
- Step 3: Once you are under the anesthesia, a breathing tube will be inserted into your esophagus.
- Step 4: The bariatric surgeon will make 3-5 tiny incisions in the abdominal wall for the insertion of small trocars (hollow steel tubes; trocars will help the surgeon perform your operation).
- Step 5: Next, your abdomen will be filled with carbon dioxide gas in order to separate the small intestine from stomach wall.
- Step 6: The surgeon will then insert a probe mounted with a laparoscope (camera) and pencil-thin surgical instruments in the abdomen.
- Step 7: Then a bougie tube will be inserted to act as a sizer for your new stomach.
- Step 8: If any Hiatal Hernias are present, they will be removed to prevent gastro-esophageal reflex disease (GERD)
- Step 9: A stapler will be used to divide your stomach in 2 parts
- Step 10: The staple lines will be reinforced with sutures to ensure no stretching or leakage occurs.
This is obviously a very general overview; if you are curious about the exact, detailed gastric sleeve process, you can talk to your surgeon about it.
RELATED READ: How does gastric sleeve work
Preparing for gastric sleeve in Mexico
What happens during your surgery will be the responsibility of your surgeon and the hospital. However, you can still take some steps to ensure you are in best possible condition on the surgery day. Effectively preparing for gastric sleeve will not only reduce your stress, it will also minimize your risk of complications.
Here is what you need to know about preparing for vertical sleeve surgery.
- Stop drinking carbonated beverages and alcohol (of any kind).
- Stop drinking coffee, tea, or anything that may contain caffeine.
- Stop smoking.
- Stop eating processed, refined, and junk foods.
- Start practicing chewing your food for longer.
- Start eating less carbohydrates and more protein.
- Start working out lightly to boost your lung capacity (this could be walking, climbing stairs, yoga, or dancing for 20-30 minutes every day).
RELATED POST: Gastric sleeve pre op diet
You should implement these tips at least 1 month in advance, but 2-3 months prior to surgery is best for optimal safety.
Why should I choose gastric sleeve surgery?
No change in the digestive system: It doesn’t alter the internal physiology of the patient, i.e., the stomach and intestine can still function normally.
- Reduces hunger hormone: It eliminates the upper part of the stomach that’s responsible for producing Ghrelin hunger hormone.
- Reduces cravings: It significantly reduces the patient’s cravings for unhealthy foods.
- Reduces food intake: It eliminates your ability to eat large amounts of food, and you feel fuller with less food.
- No risk of post-op health issues: It poses little to no risks of developing ulcers, vitamin deficiency, osteoporosis, anemia, or intestinal blockage.
- No need for frequent hospital visits: It doesn’t require any fills or adjustments.
- Can be converted: It can be converted to roux-en-y gastric bypass or duodenal switch if the patient wishes to do so.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery
How can gastric sleeve surgery benefit my health and well-being?
In addition to the above mentioned benefits, vertical sleeve also comes with a multitude of health benefits. If you are currently obese and suffer from health problems like sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, joint pain, you will be pleasantly surprised to know how much VSG can make a difference in your life.
Here are just a few of the benefits you’ll notice after undergoing the Mexico sleeve gastrectomy:
- You may experience partial or complete remission of type 2 diabetes, and won’t need to take any glucose-control medications and insulin.
- Your cholesterol and blood pressure levels may go back to normal, improving your heart health.
- Your sleep apnea may go away for good, and you won’t need to use a CPAP machine while sleeping.
- You will experience huge relief from chronic pain in your knees and joints.
- You won’t have to depend on the plethora of pain medications, sleeping pills, and other prescription meds to function efficiently.
- You will experience a boost in your self-image and confidence, which means no depression or social anxiety anymore.
- You may also experience enhanced fertility, and minimal or no complications during pregnancy.
Obesity never comes alone. It brings various other diseases with it, and if you suffer from any of the above issues, a gastric sleeve surgery just might be all you need to live a quality life.
Can gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico help me lose weight?
Gastric sleeve procedure can definitely help you lose the excess weight, no matter how “big” you are right now. Why? Because it effectively makes use of the two-pronged approach to weight loss.
In other words, gastric sleeve not only reduces your stomach size, it also reduces your hunger and cravings! Unlike other weight loss surgeries, where the patient has to constantly curb their cravings for unhealthy food, VSG eliminates the hunger hormone (Ghrelin) that’s causing the cravings in the first place.
Here is how Mexico sleeve gastrectomy will help you drop off the pounds effortlessly:
- It will reduce your stomach to 70-80% of its original size.
- It will enable you to eat less and still feel fuller for longer.
- It will significantly reduce ghrelin hunger hormone in your stomach, so you won’t feel the intense bouts of hunger you currently do.
- This two-pronged approach will result in a rapid weight loss and almost immediate health benefits.
CHECK THIS TOO: Long term effects of gastric sleeve
Expected weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico
Now to the big question… how much weight can a person lose after sleeve weight loss surgery in Tijuana, Mexico?
The majority of VSG patients lose 70-80% of their excess weight within a year of undergoing the surgery. If you adhere to post-operation diet and exercise daily for even 20-30 minutes, you are more likely to lose all of your extra weight within 1 year and keep it off!
Average Monthly Weight Loss After Gastric Sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico
The average monthly weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery varies patient to patient. Your weight loss will depend on your starting weight, existing health issues, and how well you stick to the post-surgery diet.
But generally speaking, you can expect to lose 30-40 pounds in the first 3 months. Then you will lose at least one to two pounds every week for the next 12-18 months.
In our experience, the average expected weight loss for gastric sleeve patients goes something like this:
- 3 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 30% extra weight
- 6 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 50% extra weight
- 12 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 70% extra weight
- 18 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 80% of extra weight
Keep in mind that these kinds of results can only be achieved if you follow the dietary and exercise guidelines strictly. VSG will only work if you implement a proper nutritional diet into your life.
DETAILED POST IS HERE: Gastric sleeve weight loss chart
Mexico gastric sleeve recovery
Unlike other bariatric procedures, gastric sleeve recovery is faster because it involves making very small incisions in the abdomen. And since no changes are made to your intestine or digestive system, your body won’t need to create new pathways to digest food.
Most patients return to work within 1-3 weeks after gastric sleeve surgery, depending on their job duties.
Here is a quick outline of vertical sleeve recovery process:
- Surgery process: 60-90 minutes
- Hospital stay: 1 – 2 nights
- Hotel or out-patient stay: 1 – 2 nights
- Back to work: 1 – 3 weeks.
If your work involves strenuous physical activity, such as a construction job, package delivery, and so on, you will be able to go back within 3-5 weeks. However, you will be able to get on your feet and go about your daily activities within 2-3 days.
For more information, be sure to check out our comprehensive gastric sleeve recovery guide.
Gastric sleeve Mexico complications
Although gastric sleeve Mexico is a highly safe surgery, the risk of complications cannot be ruled out. Just like any other surgical procedure, some degree of general and specific risks will be associated with VSG Mexico. During your pre-op consultation, your bariatric surgeon will discuss the potential gastric sleeve complications to help you make a poignant decision.
General Risks of VSG Surgery Mexico
- Adverse reaction to anesthesia
- Infection during or after the surgery
- Excessive bleeding
- Pulmonary embolism
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Organ damage during the surgery
- Abscess formation in the abdomen
- Bowel obstruction
- Incisional hernia
- Stroke, heart attack, or pneumonia
Specific Risks of VSG Tijuana Mexico
- Weight loss failure
- Weight regain
- Leakage in the staple line
- Bleeding in the staple line
- Acid reflux disease (GERD)
- Esophagus dilation
- Hiatus hernia
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Food intolerance
- Stomach ulcers
Best gastric sleeve surgeons in Mexico
In order to get the highest patient care possible, Jet Medical Tourism® works with some of the best weight loss surgeons in Tijuana, Mexico who go the extra mile in delivering the highest success rates.
Bariatric surgeons in Tijuana include Dr. Jorge Reyes Mendiola, Dr. Venecia Leon Hernandez, Dr. David Vazquez and Dr. Alejandro Santoyo Flores. These surgeons have access to leading bariatric equipment, medical technology and have performed many successful vertical sleeve surgeries in Mexico.
How to choose Tijuana gastric sleeve doctors
One of the most important decisions you will be making in your weight loss journey is how to choose a bariatric surgeon in Tijuana. Tijuana, Mexico has some of the finest and most dedicated surgeons who have successfully performed thousands of vertical sleeve gastrectomy procedures. Once you have found the right Tijuana gastric sleeve doctor, you can expect safe and predictable outcomes.
- Qualifications: The first thing you should look for while selecting a surgeon for your sleeve gastrectomy Tijuana is their qualifications. It is important to work with a fully trained and qualified bariatric surgeon.
- Experience: Tijuana Mexico stomach surgery is a complex procedure. An experienced surgeon will be able to handle unforeseen emergencies in the operating room. They will know how to minimize your risks when you have related medical conditions.
- Personalized Care: Your doctor for VSG surgery Tijuana should be committed to providing you personalized care and attention. To obtain best results, they should customize your VSG procedure according to your unique needs.
Risks and complications gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico
Every surgical procedure comes with some degree of risks, and the same can be said about gastric sleeve. Even though sleeve gastrectomy is considered the safest bariatric procedure in the world, it may result in some complications, such as:
- Staple line leaking: The surgeon will take every possible measure to prevent this, but some patients can develop leakage from staple lines. This may lead to difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, or a fever after the surgery.
- Blood clots: The formation of blood clots is possible in the patient’s arms or legs. The symptoms include loss of sensation, pain, swelling, and redness.
- Strictures: Strictures refers to the condition when the stomach becomes inflamed and the food can’t enter the intestines. The symptoms include vomiting, nausea, food intolerance, and difficulty swallowing.
- Wound site infection: If you notice any wounds around your incisions, or you notice the incisions are not healing properly, you might have an infection.
If you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above, it is critical to call your doctor right away. These complications need to be addressed immediately or they can result in severe consequences.
Only a very small number of patients experience any health complications after gastric sleeve, and that too only if the surgeon is not competent or experienced enough.
Gastric sleeve Mexico cost
The gastric sleeve price in Mexico can range from $3,499 to $9,000, depending on the hospital and surgeons. It also depends on whether your insurance company covers gastric sleeve surgery performed in Mexico. For a more precise idea about the cost of Mexico gastric sleeve, we recommend talking to a Jet Medical Tourism® representative. Call us today.
What is included in the gastric sleeve cost?
At Jet Medical Tourism®, your gastric sleeve surgery package will generally include the following:
- 2 nights stay in the hospital
- 1 night stay in a hotel after you’re discharged from the hospital
- Private ground transportation (in-town, inbound, outbound)
- Pre-surgery tests (blood test and EKG)
- Post-surgery standard medications
- Post-surgery test (drain and up to 2 leak tests)
- Surgeon liaison
- Nutrition consultation (pre-op and post-op)
There won’t be any hidden costs and you will be attended by an experienced and dedicated bariatric surgeon and their medical team.
DON’T MISS THIS: How much does gastric sleeve cost?
Does insurance cover gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Gastric sleeve surgery is generally not covered by the American insurance providers, but it is best to talk to your insurance company directly about this.
If your insurance doesn’t cover the vertical sleeve or your claim is denied, don’t worry, we have you covered! Jet Medical Tourism® offers affordable medical financing so you can receive the best bariatric care even without insurance.
READ THIS TOO: How to get weight loss surgery approved?
What to pack for gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Wondering what to pack for your vertical sleeve surgery visit to Mexico? Here is what you’ll need:
- A small suitcase and a carry-on
- A neck pillow (if you want)
- Some spending cash in local currency if possible.
- A pair of comfy, easy-to-slip-in flip-flops
- 3-4 pairs of underwear and loose, stretchy clothes (for a 4-night stay)
- Headphones with your own music to pass the time
- Eye-mask and earplugs for a good night’s sleep
- A sweater or warm jacket (for the plane ride)
- A heating pad
- For more detailed packing instructions, check out this guide.
READ THIS TOO: Travel to Tijuana Mexico for gastric sleeve surgery
Gastric sleeve in Tijuana Mexico reviews
Here is what our patients are saying about their experience:
“I couldn’t be more satisfied with my experience! Jet Medical Tourism® Coordinators were always very good to me and very helpful. I was very well taken care of by Dr. Reyes and his team. I would definitely recommend him. I am so glad that I made this decision to take this journey! Thank you all!” – Ashley M.
“Jet Medical Tourism® has been extremely helpful in this whole process. I would highly recommend the Extended Nutrition Program. It is invaluable to keep you on track once you begin this journey. The app that comes with the program to track food is amazing. It has a bar code scanner to help with this as well. The recipes and reminders have also been very helpful.” – Kristen L.
“I had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery on October 5th. I highly recommend Jet Medical Tourism®, Dr. Reyes, Dr. Marisol and their team for any type of surgery you need. They are very knowledgeable and kind. They go out of their way to make you feel special. I am doing very well 10 days post op. If you have any questions Jet Medical Tourism is there to answer them. Contact them today and start your new and exciting journey you won’t regret it.” – Tiwanna A.
View more Jet Medical Tourism® gastric sleeve reviews.
Gastric sleeve surgery before and after
*Keep in mind that weight loss results vary patient to patient.
Gastric sleeve before pictures
Gastric sleeve after pictures
Gastric sleeve surgery Tijuana, Mexico
Tijuana, Mexico has developed a modern, world-class medical infrastructure for bariatric surgery procedures such as VSG. The city enjoys close proximity to the US as a border town, which makes it easy for patients from all over the United States and Canada to visit Tijuana for VSG surgery. The city is completely safe for medical tourists and the government has invested heavily to make Tijuana a top tourism destination.
Well-equipped Hospitals and Clinics
The hospitals and bariatric clinics in Tijuana are equipped with the latest surgical technology and facilities. You can expect the highest standards of care when you choose VSG Tijuana Mexico. The full-service hospitals in the city usually have in-house facilities for diagnostics and lab tests. The operating rooms are state of the art. If you need an overnight stay at the hospital, you can expect the best of comforts and amenities at the rooms.
Skilled and Compassionate Surgeons
Many of the bariatric surgeons in the city have extensive experience in performing sleeve surgery in Tijuana, Mexico. The high influx of visitors from the US and Canada has ensured that the surgeons understand the unique needs of these patients. Most of the surgeons can converse in English. They will spend adequate time with each patient and address all their gastric sleeve requirements with compassionate care.
CHECK THIS OUT: Is Tijuana safe? Travel for tourists
Single incision gastric sleeve Mexico
Top perform laparoscopic vertical sleeve gastrectomy Mexico, surgeons typically create five to six small incisions in the abdominal area. But now some surgeons are offering the innovative single incision gastric sleeve surgery Mexico procedure. The goal of this single-access VSG procedure is to reduce incisional morbidity while increasing aesthetic benefits.
Safe and Effective Technique
According to an NIH research article, the single incision gastric sleeve surgery is safe and can be performed using the same surgical principles as the conventional laparoscopic technique. A skilled VSG Tijuana Mexico surgeon can perform this procedure with predictable outcomes, provided they have received specific training in this technique. At present, only a few bariatric surgeons worldwide offer the single incision procedure.
Ideal Solution for Scarless Surgery
If you are overly concerned about the subsequent scarring in your abdominal area, you may benefit from single incision VSG surgery Mexico. In this procedure, your surgeon will create a tiny incision of about 2 cm around your navel. The complete sleeve gastrectomy will be performed through this small incision. Once the healing is complete, you will virtually have no tell-tale signs of having undergone a gastric sleeve in Tijuana.
Single incision gastric sleeve Tijuana cost
Single incision gastric sleeve in Tijuana will cost you about $5,000 to $6,000 on average. The cost may be marginally higher than what you would pay for a conventional laparoscopic sleeve surgery in Mexico. The reason is that only a few surgeons are currently equipped to perform this surgery. However, Tijuana Mexico stomach surgery single incision is still about 70% cheaper than what it would cost you in the US or Canada on average.
Your single incision VSG surgery Mexico cost will generally include the following:
- Fee charged by the bariatric surgeon
- Fee of any other attending doctors and staff
- Anesthesia team charges
- Surgery room costs
- Overnight stay at the hospital (for the first night)
- Pre- and post-op lab tests and blood work
- Prescription medications for one week
- Nutritionist consultation at the hospital
- Transport costs from the airport to hotel and back
Why Jet Medical Tourism® for gastric sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico?
Jet Medical Tourism® is a trusted name in the Mexico bariatric industry. Here’s why:
- Impeccable pre-surgery and post-surgery care and nutrition program
- Board-certified surgeons
- State-of-the-art medical equipment and technology
- Affordable pricing with financing available
- Reputable medical facilities
- 24×7 medical staff and surgical team
- High Quality Outcomes: Team of skilled surgeons have 15+ years experience, collectively.
- Low Wait Time: Fill out your online application within 10 minutes and get approved within 48 hours.
- Save Money: Our all-inclusive gastric sleeve surgery packages are a fraction of the cost of VSG in the U.S. and Canada.
RELATED POST: Is Jet Medical Tourism® legit?
Schedule gastric sleeve consultation
If you have been considering the gastric sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico, our weight loss surgeons in Mexico can help you make your dream a reality. Email us today to schedule a free consultation or call (855) 506-6188 to speak with our friendly staff.
Other useful resources:
- Gastric sleeve requirements: Do I qualify for it
- Is gastric sleeve safe
- Gastric sleeve cost in Texas vs. Mexico
- Expected weight loss after VSG surgery
- Gastric sleeve failure: Can a gastric sleeve be redone?
- An ultimate guide on VSG diet
- Gastric sleeve and PCOS: Everything you need to know
- Gastric sleeve surgery videos
- Bariatric sleeve surgery guide
- BMI for gastric sleeve surgery
- Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: Patient guide
- Why am I not losing weight after gastric sleeve surgery? Common myth debunked!