Carrying extra pounds can interfere with every aspect of your life – be it socializing with friends or spending time with your kids. It also shortens your life . span by exposing you to several serious health conditions.
Jet Medical Tourism® works with a network of board-certified surgeons who can perform gastric sleeve surgery, which is a safe and affordable way to take care of this debilitating condition.
But why should you choose to have gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico? Contact Jet Medical Tourism® now to learn more.
Is gastric sleeve safe in Mexico?
All surgical procedures carry risk. But the key is to make sure you’re working with a well-qualified and experienced surgeon. This is why checking out the surgeon credentials and facility reviews is critical, regardless of which country you’re receiving the procedure in.
If you are still asking the question “is gastric sleeve safe”, make sure the medical facility has everything necessary to take good care of a bariatric patient. Here are a few tips to help you do that:
- The doctors should be certified: The bariatric surgeons should be board-certified and experienced at performing gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico.
- The hospital or clinic must have bariatric equipment: It goes without saying that the facility must be in compliance with the required standards of safety and cleanliness. In addition, it should also have an in-house lab, intensive care unit, x-rays, tomography, and blood bank.
- There should be an operating room specifically for gastric sleeve patients: This means the hospital or clinic should have state-of-the-art laparoscopic equipment, surgical beds for bariatric patients, laparoscopic HD cameras and screens, and an anesthesia machine with ventilator.
- The facility should have a full surgical staff: The place where you choose to receive gastric sleeve in Mexico should at least have a cardiologist, internist, and a pulmonologist in addition to an expert bariatric team.
Also, consider your experience while communicating with the facility and the surgeons. Do they take the time to talk with you and know you during the initial consultation? Or do they seem in a hurry? All these factors will help ensure you choose a facility that’s safe and puts your well-being above your money!
RELATED ARTICLE: What is the success rate of gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Do I qualify for gastric sleeve in Mexico?
As effective as gastric sleeve is in battling obesity, you have to meet a number of qualifications to ensure optimal safety. Is gastric sleeve safe for you? It depends on a few factors. In order to undergo this procedure:
- You must be between the ages of 18 and 65.
- You must be more than 100 pounds over your ideal weight according to your height and age.
- You should have a body mass index (BMI) of more than 40. In case you have high blood pressure, diabetes, or other health conditions, a BMI between 35 and 39.9 will suffice.
- You must not be dependent on alcohol or drugs.
- You must be committed to making lasting changes to your lifestyle, especially in terms of food and exercise.
CHECK THIS TOO: How much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve
The team at Jet Medical Tourism® along with a bariatric surgeon will verify these qualifications during your initial evaluation (before you travel to Mexico). Our number one priority is your health and safety, so we will make sure you are an ideal candidate for gastric sleeve. Contact Us today!
Gastric sleeve process
Once the bariatric team has made sure you qualify for the surgery, and you arrive at the Mexico facility, your doctor will explain the gastric sleeve process to you. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to discuss them with your surgeon or the team.
To give you a general idea of what occurs during the surgery, here is a step-by-step breakdown of the gastric sleeve process:
- Step 1: You will be lying face up, on your back, on the operating table.
- Step 2: The anesthesiologist will administer general anesthesia.
- Step 3: Once you are under the anesthesia, a breathing tube will be inserted into your esophagus.
- Step 4: The bariatric surgeon will make 3-5 tiny incisions in the abdominal wall for the insertion of small trocars (hollow steel tubes; trocars will help the surgeon perform your operation).
- Step 5: Next, your abdomen will be filled with carbon dioxide gas in order to separate the small intestine from stomach wall.
- Step 6: The surgeon will then insert a probe mounted with a laparoscope (camera) and pencil-thin surgical instruments in the abdomen.
- Step 7: Then a bougie tube will be inserted to act as a sizer for your new stomach.
- Step 8: If any Hiatal Hernias are present, they will be removed to prevent gastro-esophageal reflex disease (GERD)
- Step 9: A stapler will be used to divide your stomach in 2 parts
- Step 10: The staple lines will be reinforced with sutures to ensure no stretching or leakage occurs.
This is obviously a very general overview; if you are curious about the exact, detailed gastric sleeve process, you can talk to your surgeon about it.
Preparing for gastric sleeve in Mexico
What happens during your surgery will be the responsibility of your surgeon and the hospital. However, you can still take some steps to ensure you are in best possible condition on the surgery day. Effectively preparing for gastric sleeve will not only reduce your stress, it will also minimize your risk of complications.
Here is what you need to know about preparing for gastric sleeve surgery.
- Stop drinking carbonated beverages and alcohol (of any kind).
- Stop drinking coffee, tea, or anything that may contain caffeine.
- Stop smoking.
- Stop eating processed, refined, and junk foods.
- Start practicing chewing your food for longer.
- Start eating less carbohydrates and more protein.
- Start working out lightly to boost your lung capacity (this could be walking, climbing stairs, yoga, or dancing for 20-30 minutes every day).
RELATED POST: Gastric sleeve pre op diet
You should implement these tips at least 1 month in advance, but 2-3 months prior to surgery is best for optimal safety.
Why should I choose gastric sleeve surgery?
No change in the digestive system: It doesn’t alter the internal physiology of the patient, i.e., the stomach and intestine can still function normally.
- Reduces hunger hormone: It eliminates the upper part of the stomach that’s responsible for producing Ghrelin (the hunger hormone).
- Reduces cravings: It significantly reduces the patient’s cravings for unhealthy foods.
- Reduces food intake: It eliminates your ability to eat large amounts of food, and you feel fuller with less food.
- No risk of post-op health issues: It poses little to no risks of developing ulcers, vitamin deficiency, osteoporosis, anemia, or intestinal blockage.
- No need for frequent hospital visits: It doesn’t require any fills or adjustments.
- Can be converted: It can be converted to roux-en-y gastric bypass or duodenal switch if the patient wishes to do so.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery
How can gastric sleeve surgery benefit my health and well-being?
In addition to the above mentioned benefits, gastric sleeve also comes with a multitude of health benefits. If you are currently obese and suffer from health problems like sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure, joint pain, you will be pleasantly surprised to know how much gastric sleeve can make a difference in your life.
Here are just a few of the benefits you’ll notice after undergoing the Mexico sleeve gastrectomy:
- You may experience partial or complete remission of type 2 diabetes, and won’t need to take any glucose-control medications and insulin.
- Your cholesterol and blood pressure levels may go back to normal, improving your heart health.
- Your sleep apnea may go away for good, and you won’t need to use a CPAP machine while sleeping.
- You will experience huge relief from chronic pain in your knees and joints.
- You won’t have to depend on the plethora of pain medications, sleeping pills, and other prescription meds to function efficiently.
- You will experience a boost in your self-image and confidence, which means no depression or social anxiety anymore.
- You may also experience enhanced fertility, and minimal or no complications during pregnancy.
Obesity never comes alone. It brings various other diseases with it, and if you suffer from any of the above issues, a gastric sleeve surgery just might be all you need to live a quality life.
Can gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico help me lose weight?
Gastric sleeve procedure can definitely help you lose the excess weight, no matter how “big” you are right now. Why? Because it effectively makes use of the two-pronged approach to weight loss.
In other words, gastric sleeve not only reduces your stomach size, it also reduces your hunger and cravings! Unlike other weight loss surgeries, where the patient has to constantly curb their cravings for unhealthy food, gastric sleeve eliminates the hunger hormone (Ghrelin) that’s causing the cravings in the first place.
Here is how Mexico sleeve gastrectomy will help you drop off the pounds effortlessly:
- It will reduce your stomach to 70-80% of its original size.
- It will enable you to eat less and still feel fuller for longer.
- It will significantly reduce “Ghrelin” hormone in your stomach, so you won’t feel the intense bouts of hunger you currently do.
This two-pronged approach will result in a rapid weight loss and almost immediate health benefits.
Expected weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico
Now to the big question.
The majority of gastric sleeve patients lose 70-80% of their excess weight within a year of undergoing the surgery. If you adhere to post-operation diet and exercise daily for even 20-30 minutes, you are more likely to lose all of your extra weight within 1 year and keep it off!
Average Monthly Weight Loss After Gastric Sleeve in Mexico
The average monthly weight loss after gastric sleeve surgery varies patient to patient. Your weight loss will depend on your starting weight, existing health issues, and how well you stick to the post-surgery diet.
But generally speaking, you can expect to lose 30-40 pounds in the first 3 months. Then you will lose at least one to two pounds every week for the next 12-18 months.
In our experience, the average expected weight loss for gastric sleeve patients goes something like this:
- 3 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 30% extra weight
- 6 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 50% extra weight
- 12 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 70% extra weight
- 18 months after gastric sleeve: Loss of 80% of extra weight
Keep in mind that these kinds of results can only be achieved if you follow the dietary and exercise guidelines strictly. Gastric sleeve will only work if you implement a proper nutritional diet into your life.
DETAILED POST IS HERE: Gastric sleeve weight loss chart
Mexico gastric sleeve recovery
Unlike other bariatric procedures, gastric sleeve recovery is faster because it involves making very small incisions in the abdomen. And since no changes are made to your intestine or digestive system, your body won’t need to create new pathways to digest food.
Most patients return to work within 1-3 weeks after gastric sleeve surgery, depending on their job duties.
Here is a quick outline of gastric sleeve recovery process:
- Surgery process: 60-90 minutes
- Hospital stay: 1 – 2 nights
- Hotel or out-patient stay: 1 – 2 nights
- Back to work: 1 – 3 weeks.
If your work involves strenuous physical activity, such as a construction job, package delivery, and so on, you will be able to go back within 3-5 weeks. However, you will be able to get on your feet and go about your daily activities within 2-3 days.
For more information, be sure to check out our comprehensive gastric sleeve recovery guide.
Best gastric sleeve surgeons in Mexico
In order to get the highest patient care possible, Jet Medical Tourism® works with some of the best weight loss surgeons in Tijuana, Mexico who go the extra mile in delivering the highest success rates.
Our bariatric surgeons in Tijuana include Dr. Jorge Reyes Mendiola, Dr. Venecia Leon Hernandez, and Dr. David Vazquez. These surgeons have access to leading bariatric equipment, medical technology and have performed many successful gastric sleeve surgeries.
Risks and complications gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico
Every surgical procedure comes with some degree of risks, and the same can be said about gastric sleeve. Even though sleeve gastrectomy is considered the safest bariatric procedure in the world, it may result in some complications, such as:
- Staple line leaking: The surgeon will take every possible measure to prevent this, but some patients can develop leakage from staple lines. This may lead to difficulty breathing, rapid heart rate, or a fever after the surgery.
- Blood clots: The formation of blood clots is possible in the patient’s arms or legs. The symptoms include loss of sensation, pain, swelling, and redness.
- Strictures: Strictures refers to the condition when the stomach becomes inflamed and the food can’t enter the intestines. The symptoms include vomiting, nausea, food intolerance, and difficulty swallowing.
- Wound site infection: If you notice any wounds around your incisions, or you notice the incisions are not healing properly, you might have an infection.
If you notice any of the symptoms mentioned above, it is critical to call your doctor right away. These complications need to be addressed immediately or they can result in severe consequences.
Only a very small number of patients experience any health complications after gastric sleeve, and that too only if the surgeon is not competent or experienced enough.
Gastric sleeve Mexico cost
The gastric sleeve price in Mexico can range from $3,499 to $9,000, depending on the hospital and surgeons. It also depends on whether your insurance company covers gastric sleeve surgery performed in Mexico.
What is included in the gastric sleeve cost?
At Jet Medical Tourism®, your gastric sleeve surgery package will include the following:
- 2 nights stay in the hospital
- 1 night stay in a 4-star hotel after you’re discharged from the hospital
- Private ground transportation (in-town, inbound, outbound)
- Pre-surgery tests (blood test and EKG)
- Post-surgery standard medications
- Post-surgery test (drain and up to 2 leak tests)
- Follow up aftercare
- Surgeon liaison
- Nutrition consultation (pre-op and post-op)
There won’t be any hidden costs and you will be attended by an experienced and dedicated bariatric surgeon.
DON’T MISS THIS: How much does gastric sleeve cost?
Does insurance cover gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Gastric sleeve surgery is generally not covered by the American insurance providers, but it is best to talk to your insurance company directly about this.
If your insurance doesn’t cover the gastric sleeve or your claim is denied, don’t worry, we have you covered! Jet Medical Tourism® offers affordable medical financing so you can receive the best bariatric care even without insurance.
READ THIS TOO: How to get weight loss surgery approved?
What to pack for gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Wondering what to pack for your gastric sleeve surgery visit to Mexico? Here is what you’ll need:
- A small suitcase and a carry-on.
- A neck pillow (if you want).
- Some spending cash in local currency if possible.
- A pair of comfy, easy-to-slip-in flip-flops.
- 3-4 pairs of underwear and loose, stretchy clothes (for a 4-night stay)
- Headphones with your own music to pass the time
- Eye-mask and earplugs for a good night’s sleep
- A sweater or warm jacket (for the plane ride)
- A heating pad.
For more detailed packing instructions, check out this guide.
Gastric sleeve in Mexico reviews
Here is what our patients are saying about their experience:
“I couldn’t be more satisfied with my experience! Jet Medical Tourism® Coordinators were always very good to me and very helpful. I was very well taken care of by Dr. Reyes and his team. I would definitely recommend him. I am so glad that I made this decision to take this journey! Thank you all!” – Ashley M.
“Jet Medical Tourism® has been extremely helpful in this whole process. I would highly recommend the Extended Nutrition Program. It is invaluable to keep you on track once you begin this journey. The app that comes with the program to track food is amazing. It has a bar code scanner to help with this as well. The recipes and reminders have also been very helpful.” – Kristen L.
“I had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery on October 5th. I highly recommend Jet Medical Tourism®, Dr. Reyes, Dr. Marisol and their team for any type of surgery you need. They are very knowledgeable and kind. They go out of their way to make you feel special. I am doing very well 10 days post op. If you have any questions Jet Medical Tourism is there to answer them. Contact them today and start your new and exciting journey you won’t regret it.” – Tiwanna A.
View all gastric sleeve reviews.
Gastric sleeve surgery before and after
*Keep in mind that weight loss results vary patient to patient.
Gastric sleeve before pictures
Gastric sleeve after pictures
Why Jet Medical Tourism® for gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Jet Medical Tourism® is a trusted name in the Mexico bariatric industry. Here’s why:
- Impeccable pre-surgery and post-surgery care and nutrition program
- Board-certified surgeons
- State-of-the-art medical equipment and technology
- U.S. surgeon liaison
- Affordable pricing with financing available
- Reputable medical facilities
- 24×7 medical staff and surgical team
- Better Outcome: Team of skilled surgeons have 15+ years experience, collectively.
- Low Wait Time: Fill out your online application within 10 minutes and get approved within 48 hours.
- Save Money: Our packages are a fraction of the cost of gastric sleeve in the U.S. and Canada.
- No Hidden Fees
RELATED POST: Is Jet Medical Tourism legit?
Schedule gastric sleeve consultation
If you have been considering the gastric sleeve in Mexico, our weight loss surgeons in Mexico can help you make your dream a reality. Email us today to schedule a free consultation or call (855) 506-6188 to speak with our friendly staff.
Other useful resources for gastric sleeve surgery
- Gastric sleeve cost in Texas vs. Mexico
- Gastric sleeve results: Expected weight loss after VSG surgery
- Gastric sleeve failure: Can a gastric sleeve be redone?
- Gastric sleeve diet: An ultimate guide on VSG diet
- Gastric sleeve and PCOS: Everything you need to know
- Why am I not losing weight after gastric sleeve surgery? Common myth debunked!