Is gastric sleeve safe should be your first question when you are considering this highly popular weight loss surgery in Mexico. You may be surprised to know that gastric sleeve complications are lower than most other surgeries. You can gauge how safe is gastric sleeve from that fact that the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) puts its risks considerably lower than even hip replacement or gallbladder surgeries.
Side effects of the gastric sleeve surgery are usually mild and temporary. But the key to success in this procedure lies in the skill and experience of your Mexico bariatric surgeon. It is equally important to choose a reputable clinic or hospital in Mexico to ensure your risk of gastric sleeve surgery complications is minimal. Read on to learn about the long term effects of gastric sleeve.
Is gastric sleeve safe in Mexico? To obtain an authentic answer directly from a bariatric surgeon in Mexico, email Jet Medical Tourism® for a free consultation!
Gastric sleeve safety checklist
Is gastric sleeve safe? Yes, it is – provided you follow the safety guidelines your surgeon will advise you at different stages of your procedure. Remember that how safe is gastric sleeve will depend in large part on your own commitment to achieve your weight loss goals. Seasoned bariatric surgeons usually provide a detailed gastric sleeve safety checklist to help their patients prepare well for the surgery as well as recovery.
Checklist for gastric sleeve pre-op preparation
- Request your doctor, specialist, or hospital to send your medical history directly to your bariatric surgeon.
- Prepare a list of questions, doubts, and concerns that you wish to address with the surgeon at your first consultation.
- Ask your surgeon about gastric sleeve – is it safe, and check the surgeon’s credentials to provide safe sleeve procedures.
- If you plan to use insurance coverage, request your surgeon to provide you a letter of approval if you qualify for gastric sleeve.
- Complete any pre-op medical tests that your surgeon may order or your insurer may require prior to your scheduled surgery.
- If you are working, apply for leave at your workplace for at least two weeks to recover from the early post-op gastric sleeve side effects.
Checklist for pre-op gastric sleeve diet and medications
- Watch what you eat and how much eat right from the moment you have decided to go ahead with a safe sleeve procedure.
- Are gastric sleeves safe if you are taking certain prescription medications for illness? Talk to your surgeon as well as physician.
- If you are a smoker, get ready to quit the habit at least for a minimum time period that your surgeon recommends you before surgery.
- Increase lean proteins in your diet, stay well hydrated, and minimize carbonated, caffeinated and alcoholic beverages for a few days.
- Is bariatric sleeve surgery safe if you are taking blood thinners, NSAIDs, or herbal supplements? Follow your surgeon’s advice.
- Be prepared to follow a full liquid pre-op VSG diet for at least two days before your scheduled surgery for your own safety.
Checklist for post-op gastric sleeve recovery process
- Set up a personal recovery station at home that includes pain medications, bandages, sleep mask, among other things.
- How safe is gastric sleeve recovery? The first week is crucial, so stay at home, but perform light work and short walks to improve blood flow.
- Do not miss your antibiotics, painkillers, and nutrition supplements as prescribed by your bariatric surgeon post-operatively.
- Arrange for childcare and/or pet care for the first few days, do not lift heavy weights, and sleep on your back till the incisions are healed.
- Resume your normal lifestyle at home or work from the second week, but avoid strenuous activities and exercises for several more weeks.
- Follow the surgeon’s prescribed post-op VSG diet guidelines for the first three months before you gradually move to a solid diet.
5 reasons why gastric sleeve is the safest weight loss surgery
Gastric sleeve is widely accepted as the safest weight loss surgery among major bariatric procedures. For patients with a BMI of 35 or above with co-morbidities or BMI of 40+ without co-morbidities, bariatric surgeons often recommend a safe sleeve procedure. At your initial consultation, be prepared to ask your surgeon: Is gastric sleeve safe? They may inform you about the following reasons why gastric sleeve is the safest weight loss surgery.
- Laparoscopic technique: Advancements in surgical technology have led to the development of the laparoscopic technique. Most gastric sleeve surgeries today are performed using this technique, which is less invasive and more precise. Only very small incisions will be placed in the abdomen. Your surgeon will be able to view the underlying structures with a laparoscope and perform the procedure with minimal trauma to the surrounding tissue and organs.
- No intestinal changes: One of the main reasons why gastric sleeve is considered the safest weight loss surgery is that the procedure is only restrictive, and not malabsorptive. In simple words, the procedure only involves surgical removal of a large part of your stomach tissue. But it does not involve any changes to the intestines. Intestinal changes are more complex, and may sometimes lead to potential complications. VSG surgery avoids these risks.
- No external devices: Patients may want to know how safe is gastric sleeve surgery in comparison to minimally invasive procedures such as adjustable gastric band? The stellar news is that unlike lap band surgery, a gastric sleeve does not involve the placement of any external device or implants in the GI tract. These manmade devices may later cause discomfort, complications, or weight loss failure. Gastric sleeve surgery involves no such risks.
- Nutrient absorption: Unlike gastric bypass or duodenal switch procedures, a safe sleeve procedure does not entail a significant risk of nutritional deficiency. The small intestine performs the role of nutrient absorption. In case of gastric sleeve surgery, the small intestine continues to perform its full function without any disruption. Therefore, patients usually do not have a lifelong dependence on nutritional supplements after this surgery.
- Proven surgery: Large amounts of medical data has been collected and evaluated over the years to show the safety profile of gastric sleeve. Whether in terms of mortality rate or rate of post-operative complications, the safest weight loss surgery available today is gastric sleeve. Researchers are currently working on more innovative surgical techniques, such as single incision gastric sleeve, which will likely make this procedure even safer in future.
Is gastric sleeve surgery safe?
Safety should be your paramount concern when you are seeking a bariatric surgery in Mexico to achieve weight loss. Feel free to ask your surgeon during the initial consultation: “Is gastric sleeve surgery safe?” A dedicated and responsible weight loss surgeon will inform you about the safety profile of this procedure. They will also objectively evaluate your health condition and individual risk factors to inform you how safe is gastric sleeve for you.
ASMBS supports gastric sleeve
According to the ASMBS, gastric sleeve surgery has proven to be a safe and effective treatment for patients suffering from morbid obesity. The ASMBS further goes on to say that gastric sleeve should be considered the primary surgical procedure for weight loss. Clearly, when the top authority on bariatric surgery in the US endorses this procedure, it should satisfy your concerns about: “Is gastric sleeve safe?”
Researchers highlight gastric sleeve safety
How safe is the sleeve surgery is also indicated by the Cleveland Clinic on its website. It says that the increasing popularity of this procedure is obviously because the surgery is less invasive and avoids rerouting of the intestine. Gastric sleeve complications are fewer compared to other bariatric procedures. Long term effects of gastric sleeve are highly favorable for most patients.
Your own contribution to safe results
You should be aware that many of the risks, complications, and side effects of the gastric sleeve surgery can be eliminated with your own efforts. Be prepared to follow your surgeon’s guidelines related to diet and exercise. Chew your food thoroughly, avoid high-calorie foods and drinks, drink plenty of water to stay hydrated, and take your nutrition supplements as directed.
READ THIS ALSO: Is a gastric sleeve worth it?
Safe gastric sleeve surgery checklist
While you discuss with your surgeon about: “Is gastric sleeve safe long term?” you should also request them to provide you a pre- and post-surgery checklist. This will make it easier for you to comply with their guidelines and achieve safe and predictable results. Here is a suggested safe gastric sleeve surgery checklist:
- Measure your weight, height and BMI
- Talk to your insurer to check if you qualify for gastric sleeve surgery
- Obtain copies of your documents related to medical history
- Apply for a passport if you are planning gastric sleeve in Mexico
- Schedule an appointment with Jet Medical Tourism®
- Follow pre-operative diet and exercise plan as per your surgeon’s guidelines
- Submit the medical documents, including any test reports that your surgeon may require
- Schedule a date for surgery with Jet Medical Tourism®
- Make arrangements for your travel and stay in Mexico with assistance from your patient coordinator
- Preferably have someone accompany you on the surgery day in Mexico
- Follow the surgeon’s guidelines for diet, rest, recovery, incision care, medications, and post-op tests during your stay
- Follow your surgeon’s dietary and physical activity guidelines on your return to your home country
Is it safe to get a gastric sleeve in Mexico?
While you are considering a bariatric surgery for weight loss, you may want to know: “Is gastric sleeve safe in Mexico?” Over the last decade, Mexico has emerged as the world’s leading destination for high quality and low cost gastric sleeve surgery. Every year thousands of Americans and Canadians visit some of the most exotic locales in Mexico, which have built world-class medical infrastructure.
Leading hospitals and surgeons
You should choose an accredited or reputable hospital in Mexico, which has a long and established track record of successful surgeries. Some of the hospitals have even obtained the coveted JCI accredited, which is the gold standard for hospital safety. Gastric sleeve surgeons in Mexico are highly competent, having advanced qualifications, training, and experience in the field.
Work with a dependable partner
Facts and statistics speak for themselves when it comes to the question of: how safe is gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. The key to success, however, lies in your choice of Mexico bariatric surgeon, hospital or clinic. As long as you partner with a respected medical tourism provider with experience in Mexico weight loss surgery, you will be in safe hands for your procedure.
Gastric sleeve complications & tips to treat them
While the safety profile of gastric sleeve surgery is clinically proven and well-documented, some patients will still experience post-operative issues. Your Mexico weight loss surgeon will clearly inform you about potential gastric sleeve complications as well as side effects of the vertical sleeve gastrectomy. They will require you to sign a consent form before admitting you for surgery.
Gastric Sleeve Surgery Complications
Temporary Side Effects of the Gastric Sleeve
- Dumping syndrome
- Transient hair loss
- Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing)
- Kidney stones
- Bruising and swelling
- Mild pain and soreness
- Feeling tired or fatigued
- Infection in the stitches area
- Stress and anxiety
Most of the gastric sleeve complications are easily treatable, and the side effects will likely resolve on their own. You should focus on your post-surgical care instructions to minimize your risks. If the signs of a complication or side effect persist, talk to your surgeon. They will be able to provide you a medical resolution for your concerns.
Gastric sleeve risks
Gastric sleeve risks cannot be avoided, but they can be minimized as long you work with a highly qualified bariatric surgeon. When you ask your surgeon during the initial consultation: Is gastric sleeve safe, they will inform you about the safety profile as well as the potential risks of this procedure. Although gastric sleeve is the safest weight loss surgery among all mainstream bariatric procedures, you should still take the following risks into account while making your decision.
- Adverse reaction to general anesthesia
- Infection in the wound area during recovery
- Tissue damage or another inadvertent injury at the incision site
- Dumping syndrome, marked by nausea and vomiting
- Gallstones with symptoms such as abdominal pain
- Chronic constipation or frequent bowel obstructions
- Low blood sugar or hypoglycemia due to stringent diet
- Gastric leakage (staple line leak) as a delayed complication
- Development of abscesses in the abdomen
- Stricture formation, marked by food intolerance and dysphagia
- GERD or acid reflux disease with esophagus lining irritation
- Ulcerations in the stomach
- Internal hernias
- Perforations in the stomach
- Nutritional deficiency
- Post-surgical eating disorders
- Psychological or emotional complications
Gastric sleeve side effects
Every surgery will have some side effects. Fortunately, gastric sleeve side effects are mostly mild and temporary. They will usually resolve on their own without requiring any medical attention. Gastric sleeve – is it safe despite the side effects? Absolutely yes! Talk to your surgeon about the expected gastric sleeve side effects and what you can do to alleviate them.
- Anesthesia effects: A safe sleeve procedure is usually performed using general anesthesia. After the surgery, some of the anesthesia side effects such as nausea, sore throat, and grogginess may linger on for a day or two.
- Pain and discomfort: You may experience mild pain and discomfort in the incision sites as the effect of anesthesia wears off. Your surgeon may prescribe pain medications for a week to keep you comfortable.
- Bruising and swelling: Some amount of bruising and swelling in the abdominal area may be noticeable in the first week. You can use ice packs in the first 48 hours after the surgery to improve the swelling.
- Fatigue and tiredness: One of the common gastric sleeve side effects is fatigue and tiredness. As your body heals, you will start feeling more energized. Take plenty of rest in the first week to recover well.
- Emotional effects: Some patients may feel low for a few days after the surgery. This is a perfectly normal gastric sleeve side effect. Enlist support of family and friends to overcome the temporary emotional ups and downs.
How safe is gastric sleeve surgery in the long term?
You may want to ask your surgeon: “Is gastric sleeve safe long term?” The answer is a resounding “Yes,” provided you continue to maintain your recommended diet and an active lifestyle. It will get progressively easier for you to control your diet because your stomach size would be smaller. Secondly, the reduction of hunger hormones in your body will curb your urge to eat.
With some self-discipline about your dietary habits and fitness routine, you can experience outstanding results with your gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. The long term benefits of gastric sleeve may include permanent freedom from obesity and a resolution of or reduction in the symptoms of obesity-related diseases.
RECOMMENDED ARTICLE: Pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery
Is gastric sleeve surgery safe at Jet Medical Tourism®?
Jet Medical Tourism® is proud of its track record as one of the safest weight loss surgery service providers. If you are worried about how safe is gastric sleeve, we encourage you to have a free virtual consultation with one of our pre-eminent bariatric surgeons. They will address all our concerns about what is the safe sleeve surgery and whether you are a suitable candidate for it. To learn more, call one of our dedicated representatives today.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® for a safe gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico
Are you looking for a real answer to this question: “Is gastric sleeve safe in Mexico?” Look no further, and place a call to Jet Medical Tourism® today. We will arrange your free consultation directly with a pre-eminent bariatric surgeon in Mexico. They will explain to you how safe is gastric sleeve in Mexico, and will address all your questions and concerns in detail. Call us now and get set for a safe and life-changing gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico.