What is VSG surgery is a common question patients ask when they are considering a weight loss procedure to treat obesity and related conditions. During your initial consultation, your bariatric surgeon will explain to you in detail what is VSG and will determine whether you are a suitable candidate for this surgery. Vertical sleeve gastrectomy currently ranks as the number one bariatric procedure for patients who want to achieve successful and permanent weight loss.
This restrictive surgery works in two ways. It will reduce the size of your stomach by nearly 80 percent, which will naturally restrict your daily food intake. Secondly, it will cut down the production of ghrelin, the hunger hormone, in your body. When you ask your surgeon what’s VSG surgery, you should discuss whether they will perform your procedure laparoscopically or as an open surgery. This decision will be made based on your BMI and general health condition.
Do you wish to know what is VSG surgery and how much it will cost? Make an appointment with Jet Medical Tourism® today to learn all about it. Email us now.
What does VSG mean?
VSG stands for vertical sleeve gastrectomy, which is a leading form of weight loss surgery approved by top medical authorities in every country. To understand what is VSG and why it is called vertical sleeve or gastric sleeve, you should know how this procedure is performed. Your bariatric surgeon will remove the outer margin of your stomach to limit your food intake.
Once nearly 80 percent of the stomach is removed, what is left behind is a sleeve of the stomach. This vertical sleeve is roughly the shape and size of a banana. The goal of sleeve gastrectomy procedure is to help you eat less so that you can naturally lose your excess weight. Once the stomach size is reduced, you will feel full faster and will not be able to eat large portions at one time.
During your consultation with your surgeon regarding what’s VSG surgery, you should ask them about the pros and cons of this procedure in comparison to other surgical options. Sleeve surgery is a relatively less invasive procedure, particularly when it is performed laparoscopically. It does not involve reconnecting or rerouting of the intestine. As a result, the risk of complications is minimal in vertical sleeve gastrectomy.
VSG qualification or requirements
Many patients who are suffering from obesity are concerned about how to qualify for VSG surgery. Here are the broad requirements, which should be fulfilled in order to qualify as a candidate for sleeve gastrectomy.
- Your body mass index (BMI) should be 40 or higher.
- Your BMI should be 35 or higher if you suffer from obesity-related conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea or fatty liver disease.
- You should not have any specific medical condition that disqualifies you for general anesthesia.
- If you smoke, you should be prepared to avoid smoking as directed by your surgeon for a few days before and after your surgery.
- You should be committed to following a pre- and post-op VSG diet and maintain a healthy and active lifestyle in the long run.
RELATED POST: How much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve
If you are wondering about how to qualify for VSG sleeve and whether it is the right surgery for you, speak to the knowledgeable representatives at Jet Medical Tourism® today for the right advice.
How much is VSG surgery is an important question to address, especially if you are on a budget. If you do not have insurance coverage for sleeve gastrectomy, your out-of-pocket VSG cost could be prohibitively high in the US or Canada. The average cost of vertical sleeve gastrectomy in these countries may range from $15,000 to $30,000.
However, the good news is that you can choose to have your sleeve gastrectomy surgery in Mexico at some of the world-class hospitals at a small fraction of the cost. Your average VSG cost in Mexico would range from $4,200 to $5,500, when you work with a highly qualified and experienced weight loss surgeon at an accredited Mexico hospital or reputable surgery center.
SEE THIS ALSO: How much does gastric sleeve cost?
Does insurance cover VSG surgery
Once you are clear about what is vertical sleeve surgery and how much it will cost, it is important to ask: Does insurance cover VSG surgery? You should talk to your insurance provider in your home country about: (a) whether your policy covers the cost of VSG; and (b) Do you medically qualify for VSG as per the rules of your insurance company?
If you fail to obtain coverage for this weight loss procedure in your home country, then it is important to consider how much is VSG without insurance in Mexico. Your sleeve gastrectomy cost in Mexico would be highly affordable even after accounting for your travel and accommodation costs. Thousands of American and Canadian patients are choosing Mexico every year for safe and cost-effective bariatric surgery in Mexico.
VSG diet: What to eat after VSG surgery
One of the critical elements that will determine the long-term success of your weight loss results is your commitment to a balanced diet plan. The nutritionist at your surgeon’s office will explain you in detail what to eat after VSG surgery. The initial post-operative phase will be more sensitive, and you should be prepared to carefully follow the nutritionist’s dietary guidelines.
Even in the long run, your successful body weight maintenance will depend on how diligently you are following your sleeve gastrectomy diet. To broadly understand what is the VSG diet plan you will have to follow, you can review the table provided below. Each individual case is unique, so your specific weight loss diet may be adjusted according to your specific health needs.
RELATED POST: Gastric sleeve diet: An ultimate guide on VSG diet
VSG recovery time
Along with what is VSG surgery, you should also ask your surgeon what is the post-op recovery process after your vertical sleeve procedure. In most cases, you can return to your hotel room the same day after your surgery. You should plan to stay for at least one week at the hotel in order to allow for the safe healing of your incisions.
Within one week, most patients are ready to travel and return home. You may want to spend another week at home, but you can resume light activities at this time. Many patients are able to return to their workplace within a week or 10 days after their sleeve gastrectomy. However, take care to avoid any strenuous activities at work for a few days.
In about six weeks after your surgery, you may be able to perform vigorous exercises. Your VSG diet will be a vital part of your recovery plan throughout. If you have any questions or confusion about your dietary guidelines, speak to your nutritionist. In the rare event of any post-operative complications, contact your surgeon promptly and follow their medical advice.
DETAILED ARTICLE: What is the recovery time for gastric sleeve surgery?
VSG before and after photos
VSG ‘before and after’ 3 months will show a visible improvement in your appearance and body weight. Take a look at these VSG before and after photos to know what results you can expect.
VSG results: what to expect after VSG surgery
Vertical sleeve gastrectomy is a life-altering procedure that will not only transform your body and health, but also prove beneficial for your psychological, emotional, and social well-being. Here is what to expect after VSG surgery from an experienced bariatric surgeon in Mexico:
- You may lose up to 70 percent of your excess body weight within the first year.
- Depending on your long-term diet and fitness regimen, you may achieve your ideal body weight in 18 to 24 months.
- Symptoms of your underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, sleep apnea, PCOS, and heart disease may subside or completely disappear.
- You will feel more energized and can actively participate in vigorous physical exercises, sports, swimming, and other outdoor activities.
- You can wear any type of clothes of your choice without feeling self-conscious, and feel proud of your new body image.
- Your self-confidence and zest for life will dramatically improve, which may positively reflect on your professional performance as well as personal relationships.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Gastric sleeve results: Expected weight loss after VSG surgery
VSG surgery in Mexico: Is it safe?
What’s VSG surgery safety profile is another important issue to be addressed before you decide to go ahead with this procedure. Over the last one decade, Mexico has emerged as the world’s leading weight loss surgery tourism destination. Major cities in the country have developed state of the art hospitals and bariatric centers that are accredited by the government of Mexico.
Some of the Mexico hospitals also have JCI accreditation, which is the gold standard in the US for hospital safety. Bariatric surgeons in Mexico are highly skilled, trained, and experienced in procedures such as VSG sleeve surgery. The key to your safety and success in this procedure in Mexico lies in your choice of a reliable medical tourism provider.
Jet Medical Tourism® has assisted patients in the US and Canada to achieve their weight loss goals with safe and affordable sleeve surgery in Mexico. Jet Medical Tourism® works with the most reputable bariatric surgeons who have an outstanding track record of success in sleeve gastrectomy. You can expect safe, predictable, and healthy outcomes that will sustain for the long-term after your surgery.
DETAILED POST IS HERE: Is gastric sleeve (VSG) safe?
How to get VSG surgery
Once you are clear about what is vertical sleeve gastrectomy and you are ready to go ahead with it, you can follow these five simple steps to get VSG surgery in Mexico.
- Step 1: Visit the Jet Medical Tourism® website to learn about their expertise for Mexico bariatric surgery procedures. Check out their patient testimonials, VSG before and after photos, and their affiliations with prominent hospitals, clinics and weight loss surgeons in Mexico.
- Step 2: Call the caring and compassionate Jet Medical Tourism® representatives to know how they can help you learn more about what’s VSG surgery. Ask them about the kind of services and support they can provide you regarding your proposed bariatric surgery in Mexico.
- Step 3: If the preliminary discussion is encouraging for you, and you are willing to consider the option of medical tourism in Mexico, it is time for a free consultation. Simply request Jet Medical Tourism® to set up a virtual consultation for you with a top VSG surgeon in Mexico.
- Step 4: Be frank with your surgeon during the consultation and ask as many questions as you want to clear all your doubts and concerns. Share your medical history with the surgeon to help them determine your candidacy for sleeve surgery in Mexico.
- Step 5: Make a final review of all your options and evaluate how much is VSG in your home country versus how much it will cost in Mexico. Inform Jet Medical Tourism® about your decision, and start preparing for your life-changing journey to Mexico.
Book an appointment for VSG surgery with Jet Medical Tourism®
Are you ready to learn more about what is VSG surgery in Mexico? At Jet Medical Tourism®, we will be happy to answer all your questions and help you make an informed choice. We are proud of the admiration and trust we receive from our patients, and we will go the extra mile to win your trust too. To schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our top bariatric surgeons in Mexico, give us a call today!
Other useful resources:
- Why Gastric sleeve surgery is the best weight loss surgery procedure?
- VSG success story before and after
- Gastric sleeve Mexico reviews to read before considering VSG
- Gastric sleeve cost in Texas vs. Mexico