Most patients are required to follow a pre bariatric surgery liquid diet for about two weeks prior to their scheduled date of surgery. During their years of struggle with obesity, patients often become habituated to eating larger meal portions to fill an expanded stomach. Therefore, the prospect of drinking only liquids for 10 to 14 days makes them wonder how to survive liquid diet before bariatric surgery.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today and get started with your pre-op liquid diet.
Liquid diet before bariatric surgery
The best liquid diet for weight loss surgery will be low on fat and sugars, and will usually provide up to 1,000 calories a day, including about 120g of lean proteins. Your bariatric team will recommend a pre-op diet plan along with some good recipes for liquid diet before bariatric surgery. The exact plan will vary depending on your age, BMI, co-morbidities, and the type of weight loss surgery you will undergo.
Liquid diet before gastric sleeve surgery
Patients should have a clear idea of what is the liquid diet before gastric sleeve surgery. In general, this diet will comprise easily digestible, low calorie liquid foods with a greater emphasis on protein shakes. In the 2-week pre-op diet plan, the first week may include mostly-liquid foods and a few solids, while the second week may comprise a strict liquid-only diet.
Here are the core elements of a liquid diet before gastric sleeve surgery:
- Meal replacement protein shakes will constitute a large part of your diet in these two weeks.
- Sugar-free drinks or sugar substitutes will only be permitted for the most part.
- No carbonated, caffeinated, or alcoholic beverages will be allowed.
- You may consume chicken or vegetable broth without any solid chunks of food.
- Vegetable juice and fruit juice in limited quantity are acceptable.
- Ultra-thin cream of rice and cream of wheat may be recommended.
Liquid diet before gastric bypass surgery
The question of how to survive liquid diet before bariatric surgery is sometimes more important for gastric bypass patients, particularly when they also have type 2 diabetes. For these patients, it becomes important to manage their blood sugar levels while achieving the goals of a liquid diet before gastric bypass surgery.
Here are the core elements of pre bariatric surgery liquid diet for Roux-en-y gastric bypass patients:
- Exclude all types of solid, pureed, or soft foods from the diet two weeks before gastric bypass.
- Low carb / high protein shakes containing about 25g of protein per 10 oz. serving are recommended.
- Hot cereals and strained soups along with other low fat, sugar free liquids are acceptable.
- Just one decaffeinated coffee or tea (8 oz.) may be consumed per day to improve hydration.
- One bottle of electrolyte beverage (sugar free) of up to 16 oz. may be allowed per day.
- A daily multivitamin to cover the essential nutrients may be a part of your liquid diet before gastric bypass surgery.
RELATED: Gastric bypass diet
Why liquid diet before bariatric surgery
It is important to know why liquid diet before bariatric surgery is recommended. Once you understand its benefits, it gets easier to stay motivated and comply with your surgeon’s directions. Remember that even the best liquid diet for weight loss surgery will work only when you diligently adhere to it. Non-compliance may result in a postponement of your surgery.
- Liver fat reduction: The most important reason why liquid diet before bariatric surgery is required is to reduce excess fatty tissue from your liver. A smaller liver size will allow your surgeon to maneuver the area to perform surgery.
- Pre-op weight loss: If you are worried about how to survive liquid diet before bariatric surgery, you should look at the brighter side. You may lose 10 to 15 lbs. with this pre-op diet, so you are fitter to undergo the surgery and there’s nothing wrong with losing weight! This is the entire purpose right?
- Preserving lean muscle: Your bariatric surgery will lead to rapid weight loss, which may also cause loss of muscle mass. With a higher intake of proteins, lean muscle will be preserved. This begins with your liquid diet.
- Cleansing of the toxins: It helps to have your stomach cleansed thoroughly of harmful bacteria and toxins prior to your bariatric surgery. A pre-op liquid diet will do a deep cleansing and reduce your risk of complications.
- Body & mind adaptation: Bariatric surgery is the beginning of a long weight loss journey. A two-week pre weight loss surgery liquid diet will help your body and mind adapt to the process, and set you up for complete success.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Gastric sleeve diet recipes
5 Tips to survive liquid diet before bariatric surgery
When you gain excess weight or suffer from obesity, your body demands more food in order to keep you energized. This becomes a vicious cycle, which can be hard to break. In this situation, it can be appear a daunting task when your surgeon asks you to go on a pre bariatric liquid diet. Here are a few proven tips on how to survive liquid diet before bariatric surgery.
- Prepare ahead of time: Once you decide to have a weight loss surgery, your planning and preparation should begin right away. Start working on improving your diet gradually, so that your body and mind will be ready for a pre-op liquid diet.
- Choose the right surgeon: When you have a respectable bariatric surgeon, nutritionist, and other bariatric team members, they will be able to devise the best liquid diet for weight loss surgery tailored to your needs. This will make compliance easier.
- Enlist support of loved ones: Your family and friends can play a significant role in helping you go through your pre bariatric liquid diet plan and emerge successful. They will give you emotional support while also helping you hold yourself accountable.
- Ignore what the scale says: It is natural to feel excited about losing weight with your pre-op bariatric diet, but don’t let the numbers on the scale distract you. Stay focused on your pre bariatric surgery liquid diet and that’s all you need for a tremendous start.
- Get good liquid diet recipes: Scientifically designed yet creative recipes for liquid diet before bariatric surgery will help in compliance. With a variety of recipes, you will have something new to look forward to each day and will not get bored or tired of your liquid diet.
RELATED READ: What to buy before bariatric surgery?
Wish to learn more about how to survive liquid diet before bariatric surgery? Speak to a caring, knowledgeable, and trusted weight loss surgery service provider. They will share with you useful tips and insights about how to successfully go through your weight loss journey. With a professional bariatric team on your side, you will soon be ready for a long and healthy obesity-free life.