Best weight loss surgery is the one that suits you the most and is predicted to meet or exceed your goals in the safest possible way. When patients are considering their weight loss surgery options, they typically want to know “which weight loss surgery is best?” In reality, what is the best weight loss surgery for someone else may not necessarily be the right choice for you.
During your pre-op consultation, your bariatric surgeon will educate you about different weight loss surgeries. They will determine your candidacy based on your age, health, BMI, and your personal preferences. In general, the two major types of bariatric surgery that are widely accepted today are gastric sleeve and gastric bypass. A skilled surgeon will be able to achieve excellent results while using the least invasive weight loss surgery options.
For the best weight loss surgery, you need the best partner. Call Jet Medical Tourism® – a trusted name in bariatric surgery procedures today.
Weight loss surgery options: All you need to know
When you choose the best bariatric surgery and work with a top qualified weight loss surgeon, you will have the most rewarding experience of your life. The most effective weight loss surgery option is one that is just right for you and is tailored to meet your unique needs. While you seek the answer to “which weight surgery is best for me,” you should also be aware of three key facts related to all bariatric procedures:
Fact 1: The best weight loss surgery will not only help you reduce weight, but also correct your metabolism. You will feel naturally less hungry and achieve sustainable, long term weight loss.
Fact 2: If you suffer from obesity-related health problems such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, fatty liver, OSA, various weight loss surgery options will work to treat these conditions.
Fact 3: Different types of weight loss surgery have a different risk profile, but your risks are minimized when you work with a skilled bariatric surgeon. You will go through minimal discomfort and will recovery fast.
History of bariatric surgery options
Different weight loss surgeries evolved at different stages in the 20th century. Gastric bypass was the first bariatric surgery to be performed in 1954. Over the next 10 years, surgeons continued to improvise this procedure. Today it ranks among the best long term weight loss surgery options.
A relatively more recent developed in this field occurred towards the last decade of 20th century. The first gastric sleeve procedure was performed in 1988, and it revolutionized the field of metabolic surgery. Many people today consider it as the best type of bariatric surgery. During the 1990s, two new procedures – gastric band and duodenal switch – were also introduced.
Top weight loss surgery options
Different weight loss surgery options are collectively known as bariatric surgery. In most of these procedures, the primary goal is to alter your digestive system in a way that you can naturally lose weight. Two of the top weight loss surgery procedures available today are gastric sleeve and gastric bypass. In exceptional cases, however, your surgeon may recommend a duodenal switch or gastric band surgery.
Gastric sleeve surgery
Gastric sleeve surgery, alternatively known as sleeve gastrectomy or VSG, is one of the least invasive weight loss surgery procedures. The safety profile and the success rate of this procedure are considered the highest among all weight loss surgery options. During this procedure, your surgeon will remove about 75 to 80% of your stomach, leaving a small banana-shaped portion.
Here are five key features of gastric sleeve surgery:
1. The stomach is divided vertically to restrict your food intake capacity.
2. The nerves and the valve connecting the stomach to the small intestine are not disturbed.
3. The production of ghrelin hunger hormone is naturally reduced, which helps curb appetite.
4. It is often considered the best bariatric surgery because of its lower risks and higher benefits.
5. The surgery is performed using general anesthesia, and may or may not require overnight stay at the hospital.
• Your age should ideally be between 18 and 60
• Your BMI should be 40 or above
• If you suffering from obesity-related diseases, you may qualify with a BMI of 35 or above
Expected weight loss
• At the end of first year, you may lose up to 70% of your excess weight
• In about 18 to 24 months, you could lose up to 100% of your excess weight
• If you follow your surgeon’s dietary guidelines, you can achieve and maintain your ideal body weight for a lifetime
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Gastric sleeve results: Expected weight loss after VSG surgery
Key Benefits of gastric sleeve
• Relatively simple surgery with no re-routing of intestines involved
• Most recommended by surgeons among all types of bariatric surgery
• Best weight loss surgery option with an excellent risk profile
• The results of the surgery cannot be reversed at a later stage
• Symptoms of heartburn or acid reflux may not improve much
• Lesser clinical data available as the surgery is more recent
• Cost in the US or Canada may range from $15,000 to $30,000
• Cost in Mexico may range from $4,000 to $6,000
• Costs can marginally vary from one patient to another
DETAILED POST: How much does gastric sleeve cost?
• An estimated downtime of one week after your surgery
• Return to your normal routine within two weeks
• Full recovery in about two to three months
• Most patients will achieve their weight loss goals if they follow the surgeon’s diet and exercise guidelines
• Risk of serious complications is extremely low
• Long term success rate is the highest among all types of bariatric surgery
YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ: Gastric sleeve before and after success stories
Gastric bypass surgery
When you ask your surgeon “what is the best weight loss surgery,” they will probably include gastric bypass in their list of top weight loss surgery options. Clinically known as Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, this procedure is performed in two parts. At first, your surgeon will shorten the size of your stomach pouch by stapling the lower section. In the second part, they create a direct connection (bypass) between your stomach and small intestine.
Here are the five key features of a gastric bypass surgery:
1. The surgery divides the stomach into two parts using staples.
2. The smaller part (upper pouch) can receive food in lower quantity, while the lower pouch can no longer receive food.
3. The intestines are rerouted to reduce calories absorption in the body.
4. Gastric bypass can be performed through laparocscopy in a less invasive way.
5. Metabolic changes and gut hormone changes are induced to curb appetite.
• BMI requirements are the same as gastric sleeve and other bariatric procedures
• Most effective weight loss surgery for candidates with a relatively higher BMI (above 40 or 45)
• You should qualify as a safe candidate for general anesthesia as the surgery may take a longer time
Expected weight loss
• At the end of 12 months, you may lose up to 60 to 80% of your excess weight
• At two years, you may attain your ideal body weight
• Weight loss can be permanent as long as you remain committed to following your prescribed diet and exercise regimen.
Key Benefits of gastric bypass
• Weight loss rate may be more rapid compared to other types of bariatric surgery
• Best weight loss surgery for reducing symptoms of diabetes and acid reflux
• Oldest among all weight loss surgery options with extensive clinical data available
• The results of the surgery are irreversible later on
• More complex surgery because rerouting of intestines is involved
• Risk of nutritional deficiency is higher in the long run
CHECK THIS OUT: Gastric bypass pros and cons
Gastric bypass cost
• Average cost in the US or Canada may be $18,000 to $30,000
• Average cost in Mexico may be $5,300 to $7,500
• Cost estimates include anesthesia and hospitalization expenses
• You will go through a downtime of about a week to 10 days
• You can resume your regular activities in about two weeks
• Complete recovery may occur in about three months
• Very high long term success rate provided you follow your surgeon’s dietary recommendations
• Serious complications are rare as long as you have chosen a qualified bariatric surgeon
• Best weight loss surgery for successfully improving type 2 diabetes symptoms
RELATED ARTICLE: Gastric bypass cures diabetes: Fact or myth?
Gastric lap band surgery
Adjustable gastric lap band is the least invasive weight loss surgery among all options. The procedure can be performed laparoscopically, which makes it even more convenient. However, the limitation of this procedure among different weight loss surgeries is that it may produce a very significant weight loss.
The procedure involves the placement of an inflatable band (lap band) around the stomach, but this band may loosen in the long run.
• Minimum BMI qualifications are similar to other weight loss surgery options
• Teens or seniors may be considered for this surgery as it is less invasive
• More suited when other bariatric surgery procedures cannot be performed
Expected weight loss
• You may lose about 50 to 60% of excess weight at one year
• Maximum excess weight loss for average patients in the long run may be about 70 to 80%
• Weight loss is conditional to following the surgeon’s post-op dietary instructions
Key Benefits of lap band surgery
• The surgery is reversible, if required in the future
• The gastric band can be adjusted over time to match with your lifestyle
• Nutritional deficiency risks are minimal
• The band may loosen, slip, or leak in the long run
• Risk of dumping syndrome is higher
• Some patients lose weight slowly and some may regain weight
• The initial downtime may be about five to seven days
• You can go back to work after one week
• Vigorous exercises can be resumed in about one month
• Success rate is the lowest among different weight loss surgeries
• Only about 50 percent of the patients may achieve long term or permanent weight loss
• Success rate will increase if you choose gastric band to gastric sleeve conversion later on
Lap band surgery cost
• The cost in the US or Canada will be $20,000 to $25,000 on average
• The cost in Mexico will be $3,500 to $5,000 on average
• The costs may slightly vary from one hospital to another
SEE THIS TOO: What is lap band removal surgery?
Duodenal switch surgery
Among different types of bariatric surgery, duodenal switch is the most complex procedure. It essentially combines two surgeries into one. The first segment is similar to gastric sleeve, while the second involves rerouting of the intestine similar to a gastric bypass. For patients suffering from severe obesity, a duodenal switch may be the best weight loss surgery to achieve maximum benefit.
• More ideally suited for patients with a BMI greater than 50
• You should be committed to strict adherence to the post-op diet plan
• If you have multiple co-morbidities, this may the best among all weight loss surgery options
Expected weight loss
• You may lose up to 85% of your excess weight in the first year
• If you follow your diet plan with dedication, you can lose 100% of your excess weight in 18 months
• Among different types of weight loss surgery, duodenal switch produces the highest weight loss
Key Benefits of duodenal switch surgery
• The surgery has both restrictive and malabsorptive properties
• Maximum weight loss possible in the shortest time period
• Highest resolution of symptoms of obesity-related diseases
• Duodenal switch is the most invasive among all weight loss surgery options
• Highest complication rate in the first 30 days
• Risk of malnutrition is the highest in this surgery
• You should take plenty of rest in the first 10 to 14 days
• You may resume your regular routine or return to your workplace in two to three weeks
• Complete recovery will take 12 to 15 weeks
• Excellent long-term weight loss success rate
• Excellent rate of reduction of co-morbidities
• Success is contingent upon strictly following your post-operative diet plan
Duodenal switch surgery cost
• The surgery will cost $30,000 to $35,000 in the US or Canada
• The average cost in Mexico is around $5,500 to $7,000
• The costs could increase in case of some high-risk patients
CHECK THIS ALSO: Gastric bypass vs duodenal switch
Other weight loss surgery options
Some patients may want to ask “what is the best weight loss surgery for me” if the primary bariatric procedure has failed. Your surgeon will carefully evaluate the reasons why your original surgery did not yield the desired weight loss. Based on their assessment as well as your personal goals, your surgeon will recommend the best bariatric surgery as a revision procedure.
Gastric bypass revision
If your previous gastric bypass surgery resulted in complications or failed to create the targeted weight loss, you may consider gastric bypass revision. If the surgeon finds that the connection between your small intestine and stomach pouch has increased, they will tighten the connection.
This is called stoma size reduction. On top of this, if the stomach pouch has stretched over time causing weight gain, your surgeon will reduce the pouch size even more as part of your gastric bypass revision.
Gastric sleeve revision or Re-sleeve revision surgery
If weight loss failure has occurred after your primary VSG procedure, the ideal weight loss surgery for you would a re-sleeve gastrectomy. This will involve another surgical reduction of your stomach pouch so that you can only eat a limited amount of food at one time.
Other weight loss surgery options for gastric sleeve revision may include conversion to a gastric bypass or conversion to a duodenal switch. However, these are relatively more invasive options compared to a re-sleeve.
CHECK THIS TOO: Gastric Sleeve Failure: Can a gastric sleeve be redone?
Lap band revision
Lap band revision surgery is relatively simple and can be performed laparoscopically in most cases. Your surgeon will first remove the scar tissue that would have developed around the band. Thereafter, they will remove or readjust the gastric band as required.
If you are dissatisfied with the results of primary gastric band surgery, the best weight loss surgery option for you may be a conversion to a gastric sleeve or a gastric bypass procedure.
What is the best weight loss surgery option?
Your initial consultation with your bariatric surgeon is the right time to discuss which weight loss surgery is best for you. Your surgeon will examine your physical condition and BMI, review your medical history, and consider your weight loss goals in order make the correct recommendation. Feel free to ask questions during your consultation so that you can make a well-informed choice.
In many cases, bariatric surgeons may suggest gastric sleeve surgery is the ideal procedure. In recent years, gastric sleeve has emerged as the most popular bariatric procedure because of its safety profile and high success rates. However, keep your options open when you are considering what is the best weight loss surgery for you? If gastric sleeve is not your choice, then a gastric bypass could be the right solution for you.
RELATED READ FOR YOU: What is the safest form of weight loss surgery
Which one is the least invasive weight loss surgery option?
Among various types of bariatric surgery, gastric sleeve and lap band are the two least invasive weight loss surgery procedures. Adjustable lap band surgery is, in fact, even less invasive than VSG because it involves no cutting of the stomach. However, the poor success rate of lap band has resulted in the lower popularity of this procedure.
Considering all factors, a gastric sleeve surgery could offer you the best of both the worlds. The procedure is less invasive compared to a gastric bypass and duodenal switch, while it avoids the limitations of a lap band. Therefore, if you are looking for the least invasive weight loss surgery with safe and predictable results, a gastric sleeve might be the best long term bariatric surgery for you.
Still not sure which weight loss surgery option is best for you? Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today.
Bariatric surgery is a life-changing procedure. When the stakes are so high, you need to ensure that you choose the best weight loss surgery for you. But to find the right answer to this question, you must consult with a trusted bariatric surgeon.
Jet Medical Tourism® has on board established weight loss surgeons affiliated with reputable hospitals, clinics and surgical centers. We will set up your free virtual consultation with a surgeon who will guide you about which weight loss surgery is best for you.
Take the next step, call 1-855-506-6188 to speak with our friendly representatives today to schedule a complimentary consultation or pre-qualify below.
Other resources on weight loss surgery procedures:
- How to get weight loss surgery approved?
- Why gastric sleeve surgery is the top weight loss surgery procedure?
- Gastric sleeve vs. gastric bypass vs. lap band: Which is the best bariatric urgery?
- All you need to know about revision weight loss surgery
- Weight loss surgery cost in Mexico: A comprehensive guide
- Do I qualify for weight loss surgery?