Single incision gastric sleeve (SILS) is the latest surgical technique to perform weight loss surgery in a less invasive manner. Only a few highly qualified and experienced bariatric surgeons have mastered this technique at present. As the name suggests, the procedure involves just one incision, but produces the same weight loss outcomes as the traditional and laparoscopic techniques.
With a single incision gastric sleeve surgery, you now have an additional option when you are considering a bariatric procedure. During your pre-op consultation, you should check with your surgeon whether they are offering single incision laparoscopic sleeve procedure. However, you should remember that the procedure is still fairly new and not every surgeon or hospital may be equipped to provide it.
Looking for single incision gastric sleeve at an affordable rate? Jet Medical Tourism® can offer this cutting-edge bariatric surgery technique to you. To learn more, contact us today!
What is a single incision gastric sleeve?
Single incision sleeve gastrectomy is a highly advanced and innovative bariatric surgery designed to minimize complications and ease post-surgical recovery. The standard laparoscopic gastric sleeve surgery involves five to six small incisions in the abdominal area through which the surgeon will access the GI tract. But in case of a single incision surgery, only one incision will be placed discreetly around the navel.
Selective Surgeons Perform SILS
Only a handful of weight loss surgeons in the world are currently able to perform single incision gastric sleeve surgery. While the surgery is easier on the patient, it is relatively more technical and complex for the operating surgeon. Therefore, if you are seeking SILS laparoscopy, your first priority should be to identify the right bariatric surgeon with specific training and expertise in this procedure.
Minimally Invasive, More Precise
A single incision can be placed quickly, which means you will spend relatively lesser time under general anesthesia with SILS sleeve gastrectomy. The single incision will also heal faster, so your downtime will be reduced. The procedure involves the use of a tiny but high-powered fiber-optic camera, which provides a clear view of the underlying digestive tract structures to the surgeon. This ensures more targeted and precise surgery.
Is single incision gastric sleeve safe?
Single incision gastric sleeve surgery is a safer procedure compared to the standard laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. The risk of anesthesia related complications is minimized because the surgery can be completed faster with just one incision. The post-op recovery is also faster and safer because the single incision will heal faster. The risk of infection in the incision will be minimal because multiple cuts are avoided.
However, it is important to remember that many bariatric surgeons still do not have adequate training or experience to perform this relatively new and advanced single incision laparoscopic surgery. Therefore, the key to your safety and success of results lies in the choice of your surgeon. Make sure that you work only with a trusted weight loss surgeon who has experience in various bariatric techniques, including single incision gastric sleeve.
RELATED READ: Is gastric sleeve safe?
SILS Single incision gastric sleeve procedure
SILS single incision gastric sleeve procedure involves the use of high-precision surgical devices along with a laparoscope (a tiny camera attached to a monitor at the other end). Some surgeons may also make use of the Robotic surgical machines to achieve more accurate results. Here are the steps involved in a single incision sleeve gastrectomy.
- General Anesthesia: After you are wheeled into the operating room, the first step will be to place you under anesthesia. Although SILS laparoscopy is relatively less invasive, your surgeon may still prefer to use general anesthesia. In exceptional cases, they may decide to perform the surgery using only local anesthesia and IV sedation.
- Surgical Procedure: Following anesthesia, your SILS sleeve gastrectomy will begin with the placement of a single incision around your belly button. The surgeon will fill some carbon dioxide gas in your abdomen to create a bubble. A tiny camera will be inserted in your digestive tract, and your surgeon will remove about 75% of your stomach while viewing the underlying structures on a monitor.
- Incision Closure: Once the surgery is completed, your surgeon will staple the stomach and create a new, small sleeve-shaped pouch. The surgical instruments, laparoscope, and the removed portion of your stomach will be taken out through the single incision. Thereafter, the incision will be closed with fine, dissolvable sutures.
CHECK IT OUT: How does gastric sleeve work
Single incision gastric sleeve cost
Single incision gastric sleeve cost will be about $5,000 on average in Mexico. The same procedure in the US or Canada may cost you somewhere around $20,000 on average. It is possible that some insurance companies in the US and Canada may not be offering coverage for this relatively new surgery. So, you should be prepared to pay the costs out of pocket.
In general, the cost of single incision laparoscopic sleeve is slightly higher than the standard gastric sleeve surgery. The reasons are two-fold: (a) Very few plastic surgeons in the US, Canada and Mexico currently perform this surgery; and (b) The procedure may involve the use of highly advanced robotic surgical technology.
Your single incision gastric sleeve cost in Mexico will typically cover the following cost components:
- Bariatric surgeon’s fee
- Fee charged by other attending specialists or physicians
- Costs of nursing care and other assistant staff
- Hospitalization costs, including overnight stay charges if any
- Fee of the in-house nutritionist and physical therapist
- Costs of pre- and post-surgical medical tests and blood work
- Cost of prescription meds and antibiotics
- Ground transport from the airport to hotel and back
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: How much does gastric sleeve cost?
Single incision gastric sleeve in Mexico
Single incision gastric sleeve in Mexico is now gaining popularity as more patients become aware of the advantages of this surgery. The surgical principle involved in this procedure is identical to that of the standard laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. In both cases, the surgeon will remove about 75 to 80 percent of your stomach to reduce your eating capacity. However, the difference lies in the surgical approach of both procedures.
Just One Incision
In case of SILS sleeve gastrectomy in Mexico, your surgeon will discreetly place just one incision around your navel. For this reason, the procedure is also known as Belly Button sleeve surgery. If you are highly concerned about the potential scarring in the abdominal area after bariatric surgery, you may benefit the most from a single incision laparoscopy in Mexico.
Some patients are concerned about how much time they will have to spend in the operating room under the influence of anesthesia, and how long it will take for the post-surgical recovery. Your single incision gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico will take less than 90 minutes in the surgery room. Post-op downtime should be less than a week because the procedure is minimally invasive.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: What is the success rate of gastric sleeve in Mexico?
Single incision gastric sleeve in Tijuana
Single incision gastric sleeve in Tijuana can be performed by some of the top-rated weight loss surgeons. Tijuana is one of the largest medical tourism centers in Mexico because of its shared border with California. Almost all the latest bariatric procedures, including single incision laparoscopic sleeve, are available in Tijuana at state of the art hospitals and bariatric centers.
Why Choose SILS in Tijuana?
Advancements in surgical techniques and technology now enable bariatric surgeons to perform SILS single incision laparoscopic surgery in Tijuana. The city is home to some of the most qualified and skilled bariatric surgeons who have an excellent success record with weight loss procedures. For a relatively more intricate procedure such as SILS laparoscopy, you need a top talented surgeon. You can easily access these surgeons in Tijuana.
SEE THIS ALSO: Why get weight loss surgery in Tijuana, Mexico
Convenience of Visiting Tijuana
You can conveniently travel from the US for your single incision surgery in Tijuana. The city is right across the border from San Diego. You can arrive by road or by air. The city has an excellent healthcare infrastructure and receives thousands of medical tourists from the US and Canada every year. The bariatric surgeons in Tijuana will speak in English. The hospitals provide personalized services to ensure you have a satisfying treatment experience in Tijuana.
CHECK THIS OUT: Gastric sleeve incisions, illustrations
Benefits of single incision gastric sleeve
A growing number of patients are now seeking single incision gastric sleeve surgery to eliminate obesity. The procedure offers certain inherent advantages, which are highly appealing to patients. At the time of your initial consultation, you should discuss with your bariatric surgeon why you should choose SILS sleeve gastrectomy and how it can help you meet your weight loss goals.
- Less Invasive: Single incision laparoscopy is minimally invasive because it avoids the use of multiple cuts and incisions.
- Faster Recovery: Post-surgical recovery time will be reduced because only one incision requires healing in case of SILS laparoscopy.
- Low Infection Risk: The risk of infection in the incision sites is relatively lower during and after the surgery because of just one incision.
- Aesthetic Appeal: Final results with a single incision laparoscopic surgery will be more attractive because of negligible scarring.
- Reduced Discomfort: Post-operative swelling, soreness and bruising will be lesser with a single incision, which will reduce your discomfort.
- Effective Weight Loss: The weight loss results with an SILS sleeve gastrectomy will be as effective as with the standard gastric sleeve surgery.
RELATED POST: Pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery
Am I eligible for single incision sleeve gastrectomy?
It is vital to determine your candidacy for single incision sleeve gastrectomy before you can go ahead with the procedure. During your pre-op consultation, your surgeon will review your age, medical history, current BMI, any underlying health complications, and your personal aesthetic goals. Based on this evaluation, they will recommend whether you are eligible for a single incision laparoscopic surgery.
In general, the right candidates for single incision sleeve gastrectomy will have the following attributes:
- BMI of 40 or above
- BMI of 35 or above along with an obesity-related medical condition
- BMI under 45 (some surgeons may prefer this limit)
- Preferably you have not had an abdominal surgery in the past
- You do not have excessive central obesity
- You strongly prefer minimal to no subsequent scarring
- You are prepared to stop smoking at least for a few weeks
- You are committed to following the surgeon’s dietary guidelines
RECOMMENDED: Gastric sleeve requirements: Do I qualify for it?
Difference between Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and single incision laparoscopic sleeve (SILS)
You should have a clear understanding of the distinctions between standard laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy and single incision laparoscopic sleeve (SILS). Your surgeon will explain you the differences at the time of your consultation so that you make an informed choice.
- Invasiveness: In the standard laparoscopic gastric sleeve, your surgeon will have to create five to six small incisions in the abdominal area. The SILS laparoscopy, on the other hand, can be performing using just one incision.
- Scarring: In case of regular laparoscopic VSG, you will have some degree of visible scarring in the incision sites. However, in case of SILS procedure, a skilled surgeon will hide the incision within the navel for negligible scarring.
- Healing: Post-surgical healing in case of an SILS single incision laparoscopic surgery will be faster because only one cut needs to heal. But the standard gastric sleeve may take slightly more time to heal all the cuts.
- Surgical Skill: Compared to a standard VSG surgery, a single incision laparoscopic sleeve requires more advanced surgical skills and the use of latest technology. Only a few surgeons have the expertise for SILS surgery as of today.
Single incision gastric sleeve reviews
Single incision gastric sleeve reviews will help you feel more reassured about the success rate and patient satisfaction levels with this procedure. Before you make a final decision, you should request your bariatric surgeon to share with you single incision surgery reviews of past patients. However, you should note that the reviews and testimonials related to this surgery will be fewer in numbers because the procedure is relatively recent.
The advantage with single incision gastric sleeve reviews is that you can receive real insights into the procedure from an actual patient. These reviews are naturally more credible, and you will connect with them emotionally because a real patient is telling their story. If you are looking for a spark of inspiration to make your decision, you should read SILS surgery reviews of actual patients.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® for Single Incision Gastric Sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico
Single incision gastric sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico is a path-breaking bariatric surgery. If you want to get rid of obesity but are not ready to accept abdominal scarring, this innovative single incision laparoscopy is for you. It will give you the best of both the worlds, and deliver sustainable results and lasting satisfaction in every way.
Jet Medical Tourism® is one of the leaders in the field of bariatric surgery medical tourism to Mexico. We have the capability and experience to provide you the very latest weight loss procedures, including single incision gastric sleeve in Tijuana, Mexico. Call us today to schedule a free consultation with our bariatric surgeons.