Gastric sleeve weight loss calculator is a scientific tool to assess your weight loss progress following the surgery. It will help you track whether you are consistently moving towards your ideal body weight. If there are any significant deviations at any stage or a weight loss plateau has occurred, you will know about it with the help of your gastric sleeve calculator.
It is notable that a VSG weight loss calculator is slightly different from a BMI calculator. The BMI calculator will indicate your body mass index at a pre- or post-operative stage. But the VSG calculator will enable you to determine the amount of weight loss you have achieved after your gastric sleeve surgery, and will indicate the periodic weight loss progress at different post-op stages.
Contact Jet Medical Tourism® today.
How much weight will I lose with gastric sleeve calculator
Some patients have a misconception that a gastric sleeve calculator will help them lose weight. You should clearly understand that the calculator is simply an arithmetical tool to indicate how much weight you have lost (or gained) at any given point after your gastric sleeve surgery. The calculator serves as a simple, inexpensive measuring tool to help you keep a track of your weight loss journey.
Although the gastric sleeve weight loss calculator by itself is not a device to help you lose weight, it can indirectly contribute to your weight loss goals. Here are five indirect weight loss benefits of using a VSG calculator:
- It takes the guesswork out of your calculations and provides you an objective measure of your weight loss progress.
- It gives you a clear reality check and helps you fight off wishful thinking about how much weight you are losing.
- It helps to keep you constantly vigilant about your weight loss goals and works as a positive motivator in your journey.
- It allows you the opportunity to seek timely medical intervention if a significant deviation from your weight loss goals has occurred.
- It enables you to maintain a meticulous record of your weight loss progress, which you can show to your surgeon when needed.
Expected weight loss from gastric sleeve surgery – VSG weight loss Calculator
One of the most important issues to address at the outset is how much weight can you lose with gastric sleeve surgery. During your initial consultation, your bariatric surgeon will inform you that on average you can expect to lose up to 70% of your excess weight in the first year after your VSG surgery. If you are diligent about your post-op diet and exercise, you could attain your ideal body weight at about two years.
Weight Loss as a Percentage of Excess Weight
Following your surgery, the gastric sleeve calculator will tell you whether you are actually losing the expected amount of weight. Weight loss in absolute terms is not an adequate metric to know your progress. The real metric to consider is how much weight you are losing as a percentage of your excess body weight. This is where the VSG weight loss calculator is most useful.
Exceptions to be considered in Your Calculations
How much weight do you lose with gastric sleeve is not really the same for all people. The weight loss calculator cannot account for certain exceptions, where the post-op results must be tracked differently. These exceptions include body builders, teenagers, elderly, and people with specific underlying health conditions that counter their weight loss efforts. Therefore, always consult your surgeon to interpret the calculator results.
Average weight loss with gastric sleeve surgery
The average weight loss after gastric sleeve from your baseline starting point may range from 60 to 70% of your excess body weight at 12 months. How quickly do you lose weight after gastric sleeve will depend on your focus and commitment to adhere to your recommended post-op diet and exercise plan. Here some of the key points to remember:
- Individual Results Vary: While the average monthly weight loss after gastric sleeve may be between four and six pounds, some patients will lose less and some may achieve more weight loss than this range. This will depend on your pre-op BMI, diet focus, health condition, and metabolic factors.
- Early Rapid Weight Loss: Weight loss after your gastric sleeve will be more rapid in the first six months, and the rate will taper down thereafter. Some patients may lose as much as 40 to 50% of their excess body weight in the first six months. Therefore, the weight loss rate will not be uniform.
- Long Term Effectiveness: While your gastric sleeve weight loss calculator is a successful short-term indicator, it does not reveal the long-term picture of your weight loss results. To ensure that your weight loss sustains in the long run, you must maintain healthy diet and fitness practices lifelong.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: Why am I not losing weight after gastric sleeve surgery?
How to calculate expected weight loss from gastric sleeve
The gastric sleeve weight loss calculator provides you an automated way to compute your expected weight loss following your surgery. During your pre-surgery consultation, your bariatric surgeon will consider input data, such as your current body weight, height, gender, age, and health factors to estimate how much weight you can lose with gastric sleeve surgery.
After your surgery, the key metric you will need to track is how much percent of your excess weight you have lost at any given point. Your ideal goal would be to achieve 100% excess weight loss and attain optimal body weight.
Here are the quick and easy steps that can help you calculate your percentage weight loss:
When you input these data into the VSG weight loss calculator along with your height, weight, gender, and age, it will provide you the percentage of your excess weight loss you have achieved, and how much additional weight loss you need in order to get to the optimal body weight.
Gastric sleeve weight loss timeline calculator
The physiological changes after your gastric sleeve surgery will start working right away. You will begin to lose excess weight from day one, and the weight loss is likely to be more dramatic in the first few months. With the help of a gastric sleeve calculator, you will know whether your weight loss progress is in sync with the estimated weight loss timeline provided by your surgeon.
- 3 Months: At three months following your VSG surgery, you could lose about 30 percent of your excess weight on average. In absolute terms, the weight loss averages around 25 to 40 pounds.
- 6 Months: The rapid pace of your weight loss may continue up to this stage. At six months after your gastric sleeve surgery, you could lose up to 50 percent of your excess weight, averaging one to two pounds a week.
- 12 Months: The weight loss rate would slow down between six and 12 months. Nevertheless, many patients are able to achieve an average weight loss of up to 70 percent of their excess body weight at one year.
- 18 Months: Depending on your health condition and your long-term commitment to your prescribed diet and fitness regimen, you can expect to lose up to 85 percent or more of your excess body weight at 18 months.
- 24 Months: Two years is an important milestone in your weight loss journey. If you have been consistent, your gastric sleeve weight loss calculator may reveal 100 percent freedom from excess weight at this stage.
Final words on gastric sleeve calculator
At the end of the day, gastric sleeve calculator is just a measurement tool, and not a magic wand for your weight loss goals. Winning your battle against obesity is entirely in your own hands. It begins with your choice of the right gastric sleeve surgeon and ends with your personal dedication and determination to follow your prescribed post-op diet and exercise plan.
Make sure you start right by choosing a skilled and experienced bariatric surgeon, and continue to follow their advice throughout your weight loss journey. Gastric sleeve is a relatively safer, less invasive, and by far the most popular weight loss surgery today. To know more about gastric sleeve surgery calculator and its correct use, consult with a bariatric surgeon.