A gastric sleeve pouch reset is a non-invasive dietary method used to shrink your stomach after stretching following gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico.
The gastric sleeve can be a very successful procedure for obese patients who want to lose weight, but that doesn’t mean getting the surgery will guarantee weight loss.
If the patient isn’t fully committed to a healthy diet, lifestyle, and eating habits, then it’s possible the stomach will stretch after surgery, and this can lead to weight gain.
Fortunately, there’s an effective and non-invasive solution to this, and it’s something called a gastric sleeve pouch reset. Contact Jet Medial Tourism® today.
What is pouch reset?
A pouch reset, usually done over a span of 5 to 10 days, aims to recharge your body and mind and put the focus back on your successful weight loss post bariatric surgery. Whether you chosen a VSG pouch reset or a gastric bypass reset, the plan will begin with a liquid diet, followed by a pureed diet, and then back to solid foods.
The only difference is that this plan will be compressed into 5 or 10 days only. Here is a simple and interesting way to understand what a pouch reset is:
R – Restore healthy eating habits and return to a balanced lifestyle
E – Experience the pleasures of an obesity-free, disease-free life
S – Speed up your weight loss with a combination of diet and exercise
E – Elevate your self-esteem and self-confidence to meet your goals
T – Take back control of your weight loss, health, emotions, and life
Goals of a Pouch Reset
- Allow your new small stomach pouch to return to its healthy, shrunken, and tight muscular position (if it became stretched due to wrong diet approaches)
- Break the weight loss inertia or weight loss plateau, and put you back on track for progressively losing excess weight
- Restore your mental and emotional resolve, and bring back your personal confidence towards continuing with your successful weight loss journey
Pouch Reset: Myths vs. Facts
- Whether you are planning to undergo a VSG pouch reset or a gastric bypass pouch reset, you should know that these plans are not research-backed, but only based on anecdotal evidence.
- In both gastric sleeve and gastric bypass, your stomach will be reduced to small pouch. The bariatric pouch reset on its own will not shrink back your stomach if it re-stretches. It only facilitates it.
- Bariatric reset diet may not work in every case, and it is not a guaranteed winning formula. Your own commitment to lose weight and stick to your post-op diet plan will make all the difference.
How does bariatric pouch reset work?
To begin with, you should know that following any type of bariatric surgery, whether a vertical sleeve gastrectomy, a gastric bypass, or a duodenal switch, some degree of weight fluctuation is going to occur. A minor weight gain or a temporary stalling of weight loss does not mean that you should straightaway choose a bariatric pouch reset. This option should be considered as a last resort strategy.
Pouch Reset Gives You a Starting Point
The program is based on a rigorous 5-day or 10-day bariatric reset diet. It will be divided into three broad phases, during which you will restrict yourself to liquid, pureed and soft foods, while finally transitioning back to the solid diet. The bariatric pouch reset on its own will not shrink back your stretched pouch, but will act like a trigger or a starting point to restore your healthy weight loss journey.
Inducing Behavioral Changes
If you find yourself indulging in frequent post-op bariatric diet cheating, or going back to poor eating habits, the bariatric pouch reset can work in your favor. It will act like a personal test to demonstrate to your own self that still have the will and commitment to follow a disciplined diet. Once you succeed in this short-term pouch reset plan, you will regain the confidence to restore your mindset, behavior, and lifestyle for long-term weight loss.
10 day pouch reset results
Your 10 day VSG pouch reset or gastric bypass pouch reset can produce excellent results. However, as the name suggests, the program will only “reset” your body and mind to return to your regular post-bariatric diet plan. Some physiological benefits will occur, but the real benefits will be psychological and emotional to help you get out of your weight loss stalemate.
Shrinking of the Small Pouch
The word ‘pouch’ refers to the gastric pouch in a gastric bypass surgery. But the pouch reset equally applies to gastric sleeve, which creates a banana-shaped sleeve after surgery. The small pouch may re-stretch if you violate your bariatric dietary guidelines. To put you back on the path to a shrunken, tight and healthy stomach pouch, your 10 day bariatric pouch reset can produce satisfactory results.
Kickstarting Your Weight Loss
When you diligently follow the 10 day bariatric reset diet, it will provide some immediate results in terms of weight loss. This 10 day program would involve a significant amount of liquid and pureed diet, which will cut back some of your excess weight. But more importantly, it will leave you reinvigorated and determined to continue with your balanced long-term diet and exercise plan to eliminate obesity for good.
RELATED: 5-Day Pouch Reset
Stomach stretching after gastric sleeve
By shrinking the stomach, gastric sleeve helps patients lose weight by restricting food intake, and by reducing hunger. However, the stomach is resilient and elastic, and if you don’t adopt the right diet or eating habits in the years following your surgery, then you may stretch your stomach.
There are a few ways this can happen, including:
- Eating the wrong foods
- Overeating past the point of feeling full
- Eating too frequently
- Drinking within 30 minutes of eating a meal
- Eating too quickly (which can create gas that will stretch the stomach)
When the stomach begins to stretch, it can accommodate more food, and you’ll feel hunger more acutely, and this can lead to increased calorie intake and weight gain. When a patient’s stomach does stretch after gastric sleeve, a non-invasive option to correct the stretching is a diet called a pouch reset or gastric sleeve reset.
A gastric sleeve pouch reset helps get your stomach back to its post-op size
The pouch reset is a restrictive diet that’s designed to help your stomach shrink back to the size it was right after your gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico, which is why it’s sometimes called a gastric sleeve reset. Typically, this is done under the supervision of a doctor or dietician, just like the first post-op diet.
The main difference between the gastric sleeve surgery post-op diet and the pouch reset diet is duration because whereas the post-surgery diet can last as long as ten weeks, the pouch reset is usually only required for about ten days.
A closer look at the gastric sleeve pouch reset diet
The first day of a gastric sleeve reset diet is similar to the early days of your post-op diet, and that means consuming nothing but clear liquids, such as water, green tea, broth, and non-carbonated sugar-free drinks.
- Days 2 and 3, you can start taking protein shakes and can also incorporate thin soups into your diet, as well as sugar-free pudding, yogurt, applesauce, and other soft foods with high liquid content.
- On days 4, 5, and 6, you can start introducing soft and pureed foods into your diets, such as cottage cheese, hummus, and scrambled eggs.
- By days 7, 8, and 9, you can start eating soft foods like steamed vegetables, lean ground meat, soft cereal, and mashed fruit.
- Day 10 is your last day of the diet and the beginning of the diet you’ll try to maintain for the rest of your life, and that should focus on lean proteins, vegetables, minimal fruit, and other healthy foods.
Gastric sleeve surgery is both a safe and effective weight loss procedure, but poor eating habits can cause your stomach to stretch after the procedure, and this can lead to weight gain.
A pouch reset after the gastric sleeve is a non-invasive way to shrink your stomach after stretching, and this will give you an opportunity to regain control of your eating habits and get back onto your weight loss path.
Along with eating healthy foods, it’s also important to eat small portions spread out throughout the day and to chew your food thoroughly to prevent gas and help you realize when you’re full.
Find out if you qualify for the Tijuana Mexico Gastric Sleeve by clicking through to our online application form below.
Gastric sleeve surgery can be a life-changing procedure to restore your health, body, appearance and personal confidence. Jet Medical Tourism® will set up a virtual consultation with one of their top Mexico bariatric surgeons to address all your concerns. Call us today to schedule an appointment.