Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is a modern hair transplantation technique. It involves extracting individual hair follicles from the donor area, typically the back or sides of the scalp. The surgery team then transplants these follicles to the recipient area, where hair is thinning or balding.
In the FUE procedure, the surgeon uses a specialized punch tool to create small, circular incisions around the follicular units. Then, they extract these units directly from the scalp. The surgeon carefully transplants these extracted follicular units into the recipient area, allowing them to grow naturally.
This technique’s popularity stems from its capacity to offer natural and enduring results, making it the preferred choice for those addressing hair loss and seeking a fuller head of hair. FUE significantly advances hair transplantation procedures and has become a prominent option for individuals considering hair restoration.
How Does Follicular Unit Extraction Work?
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) aims to address hair loss using a sophisticated hair transplantation technique. Here’s how the procedure typically works:
- Preparation: The surgeon trims the patient’s scalp to a suitable length to facilitate the extraction process. They administer local anesthesia to ensure the patient’s comfort during the procedure.
- Extraction: Using a specialized punch tool, the surgeon extracts follicular units directly from the donor area, usually at the back or sides of the scalp. These follicular units consist of one to four hairs each.
- Graft Preparation: After extraction, the team meticulously readies the follicular units for transplantation, ensuring their viability and survival.
- Recipient Site Creation: The surgeon creates tiny, recipient site incisions in the areas of the scalp experiencing hair loss or thinning. These incisions are made with precision to ensure the natural alignment and distribution of the transplanted hair.
- Transplantation: The surgery team implants follicular units carefully, ensuring they align with the natural hair growth pattern. This process creates a seamless and natural looking result.
- Post-Procedure Care: After the procedure is complete, the patient receives post-operative instructions to facilitate proper healing and optimal growth of the transplanted hair. Over time, the transplanted hair follicles settle into the scalp and begin to grow naturally.
People know FUE for its minimally invasive nature, reduced scarring, and relatively quick recovery time, making it a popular choice for those seeking effective and natural looking hair restoration results.