Gastric sleeve procedure is now the most commonly performed bariatric surgery in the world. The popularity of this surgery stems from the fact that it is relatively less invasive and less complex, while it produces dramatic weight loss results. Vertical gastric sleeve procedure is restrictive by character, which means it will restrict your capacity to eat. Your bariatric surgeon will remove a large part of your stomach, which will limit the amount of food you can eat at a time.
Gastric sleeve complications are minimal as long as you have chosen a skilled surgeon for your procedure. The gastric sleeve process does not involve rerouting of the intestines. This means your body’s ability to absorb nutrients is not affected by this surgery. After your vertical gastric sleeve procedure, you can expect to lose up to two-thirds of your excess body weight within the first year itself. The surgery will also provide relief from any obesity-related medical conditions that you may have.
Jet Medical Tourism® is a provider of low cost gastric sleeve procedure. To learn more about how we can help you, call our friendly representatives today!
What is a gastric sleeve?
Weight loss surgery is not a one-size-fits-all treatment. Nowadays bariatric surgeons are adopting new and innovative techniques to suit the needs of different patients. The most widely chosen and highly effective among these surgical techniques is the gastric sleeve procedure. It involves the removal of about 75 to 80% of your stomach, while leaving behind a small sleeve-shaped pouch.
DETAILED POST: What is VSG surgery?
How the Surgery Works
Following the gastric sleeve process, you will feel full quickly because the stomach pouch will hold only a small amount of food. You will also feel less hungry between meals because your appetite will be suppressed. This occurs because the vertical gastric sleeve procedure will reduce the production of ghrelin hunger hormone, in your body. As a result, you will naturally feel less hungry.
CHECK THIS OUT: How does gastric sleeve work
Your Commitment is Key
Preparing for gastric sleeve diligently as per your surgeon’s instructions will contribute to the success of your surgery. More importantly, if you remain committed to the recommended dietary guidelines after the surgery, your risk of gastric sleeve complications will be minimized. Make sure you work with an experienced bariatric surgeon to achieve safe and predictable results from your gastric sleeve procedure.
Top reasons to get the gastric sleeve procedure
When you review a few gastric sleeve procedure pictures, you can see for yourself how dramatically this surgery can transform your aesthetic appearance. This life-altering procedure will give you a new level of self-confidence and improve your personal and professional life. It will give you the freedom to participate in sports and physical activities that you never imagined before. Here are some more reasons why vertical gastric sleeve procedure is entirely worth it.
• The stomach pouch becomes smaller, but it continues to function normally. Your food tolerance and nutrient absorption is not affected.
• Gastric sleeve process is irreversible, but it can be converted to a gastric bypass at a later stage, if necessary.
• The intestines remain undisturbed, which means you have minimal risk of intestinal blockages, osteoporosis, or anemia after the surgery.
• Acid secretion is minimal, which keeps you away from the risk of ulcer formation.
• No foreign objects (like bands) are placed in your body, which further minimizes gastric sleeve complications.
• Type 2 Diabetes: Improved metabolic control after your gastric sleeve procedure will increase your chances of diabetes remission or complete resolution. The earlier you choose this surgery the better will be your chances of diabetes resolution.
• Fatty Liver Disease: NAFLD or non-alcoholic fatty liver disease is strongly associated with obesity. The weight loss surgery will reverse or slow down the progression of this disease.
• Hypertension: Normalization or improvement of high blood pressure symptoms occurs in a large number of patients after the successful completion of their gastric sleeve process.
• Obstructive Sleep Apnea: Obesity is a strong risk factor for OSA in both men and women. Following your bariatric procedure, improvement, or resolution of symptoms will occur in most cases.
• Other Diseases: PCOS, infertility, osteoarthritis, joint pains, and even some types of cancers are associated with morbid obesity. Your vertical gastric sleeve procedure can considerably reduce these risks.
RELATED ARTICLE: Pros and cons of gastric sleeve surgery
How painful is gastric sleeve surgery procedure?
Patients are naturally concerned whether their gastric sleeve gastrectomy procedure will be painful. During your initial consultation with your bariatric surgeon, you should feel free to ask how painful is gastric sleeve surgery procedure? The good news is that you will not experience any pain or discomfort throughout your surgery.
You will be placed under general anesthesia, which will put you in deep sleep while the gastric sleeve procedure is performed. You will feel nothing, and will have no recollection of the procedure when you are brought out of anesthesia. To keep you comfortable during your early gastric sleeve recovery process, your surgeon will prescribe you mild pain medications.
Is gastric sleeve an outpatient procedure?
Your surgeon will consider several factors to determine whether your weight loss surgery in Mexico should be performed on an outpatient basis. They will consider your medical condition and BMI, and may consult with another physician and an anesthesiologist to make this decision. At the time of your pre-op consultation, you should ask your surgeon: Is gastric sleeve an outpatient procedure?
After your surgery is complete, your surgeon and their team will monitor your progress for a few hours. If they find all vital signs in order, they may relieve you the same day from the hospital. However, some patients may require an overnight stay at the hospital. Your gastric sleeve procedure cost package might include the cost of hospital stay for one night, so you will not be charged extra for it.
Gastric sleeve process
The gastric sleeve process involves three stages: preparation, surgery and recovery. Preparing for gastric sleeve is easy, but the vital part is the pre-op liquid diet which you must follow carefully. After the preparation process, you will visit the hospital on your scheduled surgery date. The surgeon’s staff will check your vital signs, and then you will be wheeled into the operating room.
Anesthesia and Incision Placement
An anesthesiologist will administer general anesthesia, which will put you in a deep slumber. Your surgeon will begin the gastric sleeve surgery process using the laparoscopic technique (keyhole surgery). They will make multiple small incisions in your stomach to insert the laparoscope (which has a camera attached to one end) and other surgical instruments.
Creating the Small Pouch
The surgeon will view the inner structures on a monitor, and will remove a substantial portion of your stomach. The surgery will be performed with high precision so that the surrounding nerves and tissue do not suffer damage. Once the stomach portion is removed, the surgeon will use staples to seal the small pouch into the shape of a narrow sleeve. The incisions will be closed, which completes your surgery process.
Preparing for gastric sleeve
Well-prepared patients will almost always achieve better outcomes from their surgery. During your initial consultation, your bariatric surgeon will provide you preparatory guidelines. Preparing for gastric sleeve is not a very elaborate process, but certain do’s and don’ts are vital to your own safety as well as the success of your procedure.
• Stop smoking for a few weeks prior to the surgery.
• Do not take blood thinners or NSAIDs without your surgeon’s knowledge for a few weeks.
• Minimize alcoholic and caffeinated drinks and follow a healthy, balanced diet.
• Start preparing for gastric sleeve recovery well in advance, and set aside committed time for the surgery and recovery.
• Follow the surgeon’s pre-op dietary guidelines with diligence.
READ DETAILED POST HERE: Preparing for gastric sleeve surgery: A step-by-step guide
Gastric sleeve recovery process
Recovery time after your gastric sleeve surgery will be relatively shorter compared to other bariatric procedures. However, the actual gastric sleeve recovery process can vary from one patient to another. Before you leave the hospital, your surgeon’s team will provide you a list of post-operative care instructions as well as post-op dietary guidelines.
In the first week after your surgery, you should stay confined to your hotel room and take sufficient rest. By the second week, you may be ready to travel back to your home country. Many patients are able to resume their normal routine or return to their workplace by this time. Your complete gastric sleeve recovery process will take about two to three months.
Gastric sleeve complications
Any surgical procedure inherently has some risk of complications associated with it, and gastric sleeve procedure is no exception. However, if you have chosen a bariatric surgeon with top professional credentials and proven skills, your risks will be minimized. The benefits will far outweigh the gastric sleeve complications, making your procedure completely worthwhile.
Temporary Side Effects
In the first few days after your surgery, you may experience mild discomfort, bruising and swelling around the treated sites. You can manage this with ice packs in the first 48 hours as well as pain medications for a few days as prescribed by your surgeon. Be prepared to strictly follow a liquid diet in the first one to two weeks to minimize any feeling of nausea or stomach discomfort.
More severe gastric sleeve complications include infection, excessive bleeding, blood clotting, bowel blockage, ulcers, and gastritis. Your surgeon will inform you about these potential risks well ahead of your procedure. However, the incidence of these complications is rare. On the contrary, your co-morbidities related to obesity are likely to reduce after your gastric sleeve procedure.
Gastric sleeve procedure cost
Life after gastric sleeve procedure will make your investment in this surgery totally worthwhile. Your annual healthcare costs will significantly reduce and your productivity and earning capacity may improve. In the long run, your gastric sleeve surgery cost may pay for itself many times over. However, it’s still essential to be aware of the actual costs involved and manage it within your budget.
The average gastric sleeve procedure cost in Mexico may be in the range of $4,000 to $5,500, depending on your choice of hospital and surgeon. This cost is far lower than what you may otherwise have to pay in your home country. In the US or Canada, the gastric sleeve process may cost you anywhere from $20,000 to $25,000. Considering these exorbitant costs, many women and men are now choosing Mexico as a high quality and affordable destination for gastric sleeve surgery.
How to check if I am eligible for vertical gastric sleeve procedure?
At the outset, it is important to determine whether you are a suitable candidate for a vertical gastric sleeve procedure. The international guidelines for eligibility for this surgery are focused on your BMI and medical conditions. But your surgeon may also consider some other elements. Here are the major eligibility factors for vertical gastric sleeve procedure:
• Your body mass index BMI for gastric sleeve is at least 40
• Your BMI score is at least 35 and you have one or more obesity-related co-morbidities
• In exceptional cases, your surgeon may consider a BMI of 30 or above
• Your general health allows you to undergo anesthesia and surgery
• You are committed to following the pre- and post-op dietary guidelines
READ THIS ALSO: How much do you have to weigh to get gastric sleeve
Gastric sleeve procedure pictures
Take a look at these gastric sleeve procedure pictures of actual patients. It will help you form realistic expectations and make the right decision about your surgery.
Save BIG on gastric sleeve procedure by Jet Medical Tourism®
Cost is an important starting point for your gastric sleeve procedure. You have a right to restore your health and regain control of your life. Exorbitant medical costs in the US or Canada should not deter you from having this life-changing surgery. Jet Medical Tourism® has been helping patients achieve their weight loss goals and improve their quality of life with a safe and affordable gastric sleeve procedure.
If you are ready to save thousands of dollars on your bariatric surgery, choose Jet Medical Tourism® as your dependable partner. We have on board some of the best bariatric surgeons working with full-service hospitals and clinics in Mexico. We can help you undergo a gastric sleeve procedure successfully at a small fraction of the cost in your home country. Call us now to schedule a free virtual consultation with a gastric sleeve surgeon!
Other useful resources on gastric sleeve procedure:
- Gastric sleeve requirements: Do I qualify for it?
- Gastric sleeve reviews 2020: real & verified patient reviews
- is Gastric sleeve safe?
- Gastric sleeve cost in Texas
- Gastric sleeve pre op diet
- Gastric sleeve weight loss chart
- Gastric sleeve diet: an ultimate guide on VSG diet
- Gastric sleeve and PCOS: Everything you need to know
- Is Gastric sleeve reversible?
- Gastric sleeve results: Expected weight loss after VSG surgery
- Gastric sleeve before and after pictures: Best photos (2020-21)
- Vertical sleeve gastrectomy procedure: Cost, diet, recovery, success stories