It is difficult to completely eliminate fast food after weight loss surgery because, at times, when you are in a rush or you don’t have the energy to cook, often the only option is to grab a quick meal from the nearest fast food restaurant.
But, you’re worried about the effects of breaking your healthy eating regime and consuming excess calories… so the question is:
How can you eat healthier fast food after weight loss surgery?
Simple… you don’t have to order the usual high calorie and high trans-fat food. You can find healthy meals that are rich in protein and fiber.
Here is a list of healthy fast food after weight loss surgery that you might want to consider.
1. McDonald’s: fast food after weight loss surgery
McDonald’s is one of the biggest fast food chains, with locations worldwide. The restaurant offers many healthy meal options for weight loss surgery patients such as:
- Premium Southwest Salad with Grilled Chicken: This salad is packed with 27 grams of healthy proteins. It is one of the best fast food chicken salads around, with high a content of fiber and protein and low in saturated fat. Take it without the dressing or choose the light dressing, such as low-fat balsamic vinaigrette dressing instead of the fattier Southwest dressing.
- Egg White Delight McMuffin with White Cheddar: This delicious breakfast option contains 18 grams of protein and 7 grams of fat. Order this McMuffin with or without the English muffin along with a nonfat latte (no sugar added) for a complete breakfast meal.
- Premium McWrap Sweet Chili Chicken: With 26 grams of protein and 2.5 grams of fat, this wrap is a good choice. This delicious tortilla wrap of grilled chicken, cucumber, spring greens, lettuce and sweet chili is the standout among other healthy options. Make sure to leave out the creamy garlic sauce.
Beside these, the following are the good alternatives too:
- Fruit and Yogurt Parfait minus the granola topping.
- Oatmeal with apples, but without cream, for breakfast.
- Grilled chicken sandwich or a cheeseburger, without the bun.
- Apple slices as a side dish.
2. Chipotle: fast food after weight loss surgery
One of the best places for tacos and burritos, the Chipotle Mexican Grill, is praised for using local, organic products with meats from naturally raised animals.
They make it easier for people to select GMO free foods and meals with no-added preservatives, by revealing their menus and ingredient lists online.
- Barbacoa and Guacamole Salad: Try this healthy salad with no-hormone-added barbacoa, romaine lettuce, guacamole, tomatillo-green chili salsa and a small amount of sour cream. With all of these quality ingredients, this salad is a must-try at Chipotle.
- Vegetarian Burrito Bowl: With brown rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, lettuce and roasted-chili corn salsa, this burrito bowl contains 7 grams of fat (1 gram saturated) and ample amount of proteins.
Beware of substitutions when considering healthy options at Chipotle. Add lean meats like chicken and beans, which can provide you with necessary fats and proteins. You should avoid adding extras onto your salads or burrito bowls, such as cheese or sour cream, which can greatly increase the calorie count of your meal.
3. Chick-fil-A: fast food after weight loss surgery
Chick-fil-A is the perfect spot for delicious chicken sandwiches. It is the first fast food chain to start serving trans-fat-free meals. Healthy meals at this fast food restaurant include:
- Grilled Chicken Sandwich with a Fruit Cup: The grilled sandwich at Chick-fil-A is the healthiest when compared to the grilled sandwiches at other fast food chains. Excluding the honey-roasted BBQ sauce, the meal is packed with 400 calories in total, including a large cup of fruit; in which there is 1 gram of saturated fat, 30 grams of protein, 0 grams of trans-fat and 6 grams of fiber.
- Chick-n-Minis: Like the grilled chicken sandwich, Chick-fil-A’s Chick-n-Minis is the healthiest breakfast sandwich among the fast food sandwiches, containing the lowest calories, fat, sodium and cholesterol. It is packed with 14 grams of protein, 0 grams of trans-fat and 2.5 grams of saturated fat.
- Chargrilled Chicken Cool Wrap: This mouthwatering and highly satisfying wrap is packed with 9 grams of fiber, 33 grams of protein and moderate amounts of fat and saturated fat. Order this wrap with a dressing low in fat and sodium, such as Fat-Free Honey Mustard or Reduced Fat Berry Balsamic Vinaigrette, to avoid increasing the sodium and fat content in your meal.
A good trick to keep your meals healthier at Chick-fil-A, is to pair them with a fruit cup or milk. Besides that, you could also order the multi-grain breakfast oatmeal.
4. Wendy’s: fast food after weight loss surgery
The third biggest fast food chain in the world, Wendy’s is making some great efforts in producing meals that are healthy, yet delicious. Some of the healthy meals at this fast food restaurant include:
- Sour Cream and Chive Potato: This is one of the healthiest and most enjoyable options at Wendy’s. The dish is packed with nutrients such as potassium, folate and fiber and is served with low-fat sour cream and chives.
- Full Size Asian Cashew Chicken Salad: This savory salad is packed with 36 grams of protein and 2 grams of saturated fat. Served with a light, spicy, Asian chili vinaigrette, this salad is worth eating.
- Ultimate Chicken Grill: This is one of the other best alternatives at Wendy’s, with 34 grams of protein and only 1.5 grams of saturated fat. The sandwich contains a layer of grilled lean chicken breast, lettuce, tomato, honey mustard and onion.
- Cheeseburger: Can’t resist your burger cravings? No worries, the Jr. Cheeseburger is packed with 16 grams of protein and 6 grams of saturated fat. This cheeseburger at Wendy’s is enough to satisfy your burger cravings.
While eating at Wendy’s, you can be extra careful, when choosing a healthy meal by; skipping high calorie dressings and toppings, selecting Jr. burgers, grilled chicken instead of fried chicken, mustard instead of creamy sauce, apple slices as a side dish and an unsweetened iced tea. Additionally, you can exclude the fries, chicken nuggets and bacon from your list. By following these tips you can still eat healthy fast food after weight loss surgery.
5. Burger King: fast food after weight loss surgery
Burger King is the third favorite restaurant in the list of top five food chains in the US. You can make the Burger King menu your healthy pal if you avoid the calorie-rich food and add healthy alternatives to your meals.
- Veggie Burger and Garden Salad: Munch on the mouthwatering veggie burger, without mayonnaise or cheese, which offers 7 grams of fiber and 22 grams of protein. Make a hearty, yet healthy meal by adding a Garden Salad without chicken, and enjoy this delicious burger, guilt-free.
- Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich: This sandwich can be a good alternative if you order it without mayonnaise. Packed with 31 grams of protein and only 1 gram of saturated fat, Tendergrill Chicken Sandwich is not a bad option for healthy eaters.
Other than the above choices, you can opt for maple flavored oatmeal and apple slices as your breakfast choice, the chicken Caesar salad without croutons or the whopper Jr. without a bun or mayonnaise.
6. Taco Bell: fast food after weight loss surgery
At Taco Bell your best bet is to order food from their Fresco menu, which offers items with less than 350 calories. Some of the healthier options are:
- Chicken Soft Taco: This taco is the best way to satisfy your Mexican food craving, while minimizing a calorie count. Packed with 12 grams of protein and 2.5 grams of saturated fat, this chicken taco becomes even healthier if eaten without a taco shell.
- Fresco Burrito Supreme with Chicken: Containing 330 calories or 350 calories with steak, this burrito is a deliciously healthy option for every dieter.
- Cantina Bowl (chicken): This dish contains 26 grams of protein and is made with healthy ingredients such as: citrus-herb marinated chicken, black beans, guacamole, fresh pico de gallo, roasted corn and pepper salsa, and all of these are spread on rice. You can substitute the creamy cilantro dressing with a light, taco sauce to avoid the additional 90 calories from.
Most of the healthy items at Taco Bell are protein rich and can allow you to escape extra calories if you skip the tortillas, tortilla chips, taco shells or the heavy dressings. Substitute calorie rich creamy dressings with hot or red sauce or salsa.
7. Starbucks: fast food after weight loss surgery
Starbucks does offer some beverages and meals that are lower in calories and higher in protein or fiber. Some of its healthy items include:
- Protein Bistro Box and Juice: This appetizing lunch meal contains a hard-boiled egg, cheddar cheese, multi-grain bread, apple slices, grapes and peanut butter. Starbucks also offers a refreshingly healthy drink called Evolution Fresh Sweet Greens and Lemon Juice that does not contain any additives and allows you to enjoy the taste of 10 different fruits and vegetables.
Besides that, you can opt for Hot or Iced Coffee that is calorie-free, even when some milk is added its calories remain negligible. The other options are Nonfat Iced Caramel Macchiato or Soy Tazo Chai Tea Latte.
Find out if you qualify for the Tijuana Mexico Gastric Sleeve by clicking through to our online application form or contact us today to find out more.